Acid Fog (Spell)
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A mix of carefully powdered peas and animal hoof, dissolved in a vial of acid, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: all creatures in target area (friend or foe), in a fog that spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high (a 9x9x4 square space)
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Acid Fog creates a billowing mass of misty vapors like the Solid Fog (Spell). In addition to slowing down creatures and obscuring sight, this spell's vapors are highly acidic. At the time of casting, the vapors inflict (Circle 4 damage): 1d6+1 points of damage per character level (max 12d6+12 at character level 12) of acid (energy, common) damage, with a save as above to both halve this damage and mitigate the slowing effects of the dense cloud. There are no lingering damage effects for this spell, although the motion and vision impeding elements can be quite vexing.
- Creatures moving through Acid Fog must make a saving throw as described above. If they fail their save, they move at half their normal speed and take a -2 penalty on all melee attack and melee damage rolls. If they make the save, they suffer the effects of a Fog Cloud, and lose the ability to take 5-foot steps.
- In all cases, save or not, the vapors prevent effective projectile weapon attacks (including magic rays and the like) into, out of, or within the cloud. One or two-handed Throwing weapons, and Massive projectile weapons to include Siege weapons, are not affected.
- A creature or object that falls into Acid Fog is slowed so that each 10 feet of vapor that it passes through reduces the Falling Damage by 2d6.
- Acid Fog, and effects that work like Acid Fog, do not stack with each other in terms of movement and attack penalties.
- Unlike normal fog, only a severe wind (31+ mph) disperses these vapors, and it does so in 1 round.
- This spell is subject to dispersal by Dispersing spells. Dispersing spells contain vigorous winds, fresh air, air currents, or other effects. Squares of this spells effect which intersect with a Dispersing Spell's squares of effect are dispelled, but all other squares remain. GM's adjudicate all unusual circumstances.
- Dispersing Spells include Dispersing (Wind Wall (Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud (Spell), Gust of Wind (Spell), Air Step (Spell), Cloak of Winds (Spell), Hurricane Blast (Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud, Greater (Spell), Calm Air (Spell), Resilient Sphere (Spell), Telekinetic Sphere (Spell), Scouring Winds (Spell), Freedom (Spell), Pillar of Fire (Spell)), and any other effects the GM rules as dispersing gases, fogs, mists, etc.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.
- The charge this spell lays affects the caster, not the creatures in the fog.