Alter Winds (Spell)
- Level: Druid 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1
- School: Transmutation
- Elemental School: air 1, wood 1
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small hollow cube of glass, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: Immovable 30 ft. cube overlapping with any point in range
- Duration: Until the start of your next turn
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You can alter the natural winds in a small area such that flying creatures find it difficult to traverse. When you cast the spell, you can choose a 30-ft. cube that at least partially overlaps with any point within the range of the spell. At the time of casting, the spell begins with a massive, chaotic series of blasting winds, in all directions, willy-nilly. These bursts of air last only a moment, and inflict (Circle 1 damage): 1d4 points of damage per character level (max 5d4 at character level 5) of bludgeoning (physical, common) damage to all creatures in the area of effect. After the initial blast, the air remains disturbed and chaotic until the beginning of the caster's next action.
- Any creatures using any sort of flight-based movement (Hover, Lesser Flight, or Greater Flight) treat all spaces in this affected cube as difficult terrain for the duration of the spell.
- Alternatively, this spell may be cast as a ritual outside of combat, requiring a casting time of 8 hours. If cast as a ritual, any travel which makes use of wind speed (such as sailing ships) have their overland movement improved by +1 mile per hour for the entire day of travel. This improves by an additional +1 mile per hour of travel per 12 full caster levels (i.e. caster levels 12 and 24), to a maximum of +3 miles per hour at caster level 24.