Animate Rope (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 1
- School: Transmutation
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small piece of cord, laced about with silk thread, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: One rope or rope-like object
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: No
- You can animate a nonliving rope-like object. One coil of rope, no less than twenty feet long, can be turned into a coiling mass of slithering loops and grasping bowlines. The rope is unable to move from the space or creature into which or upon which it is thrown, but within that space, it is disturbingly, liquidly agile.
- The rope can only enwrap a creature or an object in its space – it does not snake outward or have a move – so the caster must either affect a space already containing a rope within range, or must throw a rope upon an intended target creature. If you choose to throw a rope, it can be thrown as part of the same standard action as casting the spell, but you must succeed on a ranged attack against either the target creature, or the target space (AC 5). A thrown rope has a range increment of 10 feet (max range of 50 feet, and -2 to-hit per range increment after the first).
- To use a rope to trip up an opponent, choose any 10-foot, unblocked area within range that either contains a rope (or rope-like object), or throw a rope into one square of this area. Once this 10-foot zone contains a rope (or rope-like object), you may make a Caster Check against the first creature which moves into any one of the spaces in the zone, versus that creature's Maneuver Defense. If successful, the creature falls Prone. If the caster check fails, the creature is instead Quelled.
- To use a rope to entangle an opponent, a rope must be present in the target's space, or you must throw a rope at the target. Regardless of whether a rope is already present in the target creature's space or you are throwing it, you make a Caster Check against the target's Maneuver Defense. If your caster check exceeds the target's Maneuver Defense by 4 or more, the target becomes Entrapped until the start of your next turn. If your caster check is at least equal to the target's Maneuver Defense, the target is Entangled until the start of your next turn. If your caster check is only sufficient to hit the target's square (DC 5), the target is Hindered until the start of your next turn. Remember that throwing a rope can be done as part of the same action as casting this spell.
- Any creature capable of casting spells or using a spell-like ability that is affected by a status condition caused by this spell must succeed on a Caster Check against a Challenging DC, based on the caster level of the spell.
- The rope itself and any knots tied in it are non-magical in nature. The spell cannot be used to attempt to manipulate, steal, or otherwise affect objects carried or worn by a creature.
- While a creature is affected by a status condition caused by this spell, the rope is treated as having as Sunder DC of (19 + the caster's caster level), and a durability of 1.