Apparition Atrox (Spell)
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (a sheer handkerchief, worth 1 gp)
- Range: 120 foot Line
- Target or Area: one target creature, plus one per 10 character levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30)
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Upon mumbling the uncertain prose of the Apparition Atrox spell, the caster calls forth a wavering, obviously unreal, and utterly terrible image. The exact form of an Apparition is hard to say, as they only exist for a mere instant, appearing in a square adjacent to the caster's space and then darting forth with incredible, unreal, flickering speed. An Apparition is an illusion, yes, but it is not an illusion that seeks to trick anyone. It is not meant to look like anything other than what it is: the sheer killing power of lies made manifest.
- In the shuddering instant that it exists, an Apparition Atrox traces out a line, moving one hundred twenty feet (twenty-four squares) before it flickers out. Each square of its path must be adjacent to (either corner to corner or edge to edge) its previous square, and also further away from its caster. The Caster determines the line it traces as it moves.
- As it races along its brief, frenzied existence, the atrocious apparition may pass adjacent to or through any creature's space as if it does not exist, which in truth, it does not. The illusionist may make a Melee Touch Attack, using their own stats to do so, against any creature to which any space in the apparition's path passes adjacent, however the spell only damages one target per ten full caster levels they possess (dropping fractions). Thus, at ninth level and below, even if the illusionist can somehow cast this powerful spell, it fails to affect any creatures in the real world.
- Touch attacks that miss do not expend the energy of the apparition. Instead, the caster can try again against a different target adjacent to the apparition's path. However, no creature can ever be damaged more than once by a single casting of this spell, even if the caster can arrange an opportunity to do so.
- If a creature is successfully touched, they take (Circle 7 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 20d6+40 at character level 20) of fictive (energy, uncommon) damage. Far worse, the horrifying power of the Apparition Atrox destroys the confidence of all victims. To reflect this, each successful touch attack inflicts the Hexed condition on the creatures touched, until the end of the encounter, unless otherwise removed.
- Once the apparition has made its full allotment of touch attacks, or reaches the end of its 120 foot path, it dissipates back into nothingness.