Apparition Dirus (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 8
- School: Illusion
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A sheer handkerchief, worth 1gp.)
- Range: 60 foot Line
- Target or Area: one target creature, plus one per 10 caster levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30)
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Upon crying aloud the phrases of the Apparition Dirus spell, the caster calls forth a wavering, obviously unreal, and utterly terrible image. The exact form of an Apparition is hard to say, as they only exist for a mere instant, appearing in a square adjacent to the caster's space and then darting forth with incredible, unreal, flickering speed. An Apparition is an illusion, yes, but it is not an illusion that seeks to trick anyone. It is not meant to look like anything other than what it is: the sheer killing power of lies made manifest.
- In the shuddering instant that it exists, an Apparition Dirus traces out a line, moving sixty feet (twelve squares) before it flickers out. Each square of its path must be adjacent to (either corner to corner or edge to edge) its previous square, and also further away from its caster. The Caster determines the line it traces as it moves.
- As it races along its brief, frenzied existence, the dire apparition may pass adjacent to or through any creature's space as if it does not exist, which in truth, it does not. The illusionist may make a Melee Touch Attack, using their own stats to do so, against any creature to which any space in the apparition's path passes adjacent, however the spell only damages one target per ten full caster levels they possess (dropping fractions). Thus, at ninth level and below, even if the illusionist can somehow cast this powerful spell, it fails to affect any creatures in the real world.
- Touch attacks that miss do not expend the energy of the apparition. Instead, the caster can try again against a different target adjacent to the apparition's path. However, no creature can ever be damaged more than once by a single casting of this spell, even if the caster can arrange an opportunity to do so.
- If a creature is successfully touched, they take (Circle 8 damage): 1d6+3 points of damage per character level (max 21d6+63 at character level 21) of fictive (energy, uncommon) damage.
- Once the apparition has made its full allotment of touch attacks, or reaches the end of its 60 foot path, it dissipates back into nothingness.