- School: Transmutation
- Domain: plant 2
- Subdomain: defense 2
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A large chunk of rough bark, carved with a rune, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature, living creature touched
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Barkskin toughens and roughens a creature's skin, giving them the appearance of craggy, runneled bark instead of skin. The effect gives a -5 penalty to Skill Rolls to interact with others, such as Stealth, Bluff, and Diplomacy rolls, but it also grants a +2 Divine Bonus to the creature's existing AC.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.