Burning Gaze (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
- School: Evocation
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (Eye of a mundane salamander, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Self
- Target or Area: You, and see below.
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + 1/2 character level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Your eyes burn like hot coals, allowing you to set objects or foes alight with a glance.
- As a standard action as long as this spell's effects persist, you may direct your Burning Gaze against a single creature within 30 feet of your location. Targeted creatures must succeed at a save as described above or take (Circle 1 damage): 1d4 points of damage per character level (max 5d4 at character level 5) points of fire (energy, common) damage, and gain the Burned condition. Creatures who succeed on the save take half the initial fire damage and are not afflicted with the Burned condition.
- Note that this spell does not grant an actual gaze attack - foes and allies are not in danger of catching on fire simply by meeting your gaze or looking at you. This spell has no effect on unattended objects.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.