Chain Lightning (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 6
- School: Evocation
- Domain: air 6
- Elemental School: air 6, metal 6
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, F (a bit of fur; a piece of amber, glass, or a crystal rod; plus one silver pin per caster level)
- Range: Long (200 ft. + 20 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: one primary target, plus one secondary target/lvl (each of which must be within 30 ft. of each other)
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell creates an electrical discharge that begins as a single stroke commencing from your fingertips. Unlike Lightning Bolt (Spell), Chain Lightning strikes one object or creature initially, then arcs to other targets.
- This spell does not use a Circle. Instead, the bolt deals 1d6 points of Electricity Damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to the primary target. After it strikes, lightning can arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20), no two of which can be more than thirty feet apart. The secondary bolts each strike one target and deal the same damage as the primary bolt.
- Each target can attempt a saving throw as described above for half damage. The secondary targets gain a +2 Arcane bonus to their saving throw. You choose secondary targets as you like, but they must all be within 30 feet of each other, and no target can be struck more than once. You can choose to affect fewer secondary targets than the maximum.