- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
- School: Enchantment
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (Three nutshells, carved with runes, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: one target creature
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You carefully pronounce the rhymes of utter nonsense that comprise this spell, while you perform various japes and gambols with the three runed shells. As the spell progesses, the shells vanish, one by one, and as the last one vanishes, a spectral, twirling nutshell lances forth. This is a ray attack, against a target you choose as above, to whom you have line of sight. Line of effect is not required the spectral force passing through windows and force effects without error.
- If you strike the target, this spell causes confusion, making them unable to determine their actions. Roll on the following table at the start of each subject's turn each round to see what it does in that round.
d20 Result Behavior 1-5 Deal damage to yourself with an item in your hand, equal to your weakest or most commonly used melee attack. 6-10 Do nothing but babble incoherently. 11-15 Attack the nearest creature, friend or foe, with your most effective attack. If there is more than one, roll randomly. 16-20 Act normally.
- A confused character who can't carry out the indicated action does nothing but babble incoherently. Attackers are not at any special advantage when attacking a confused character. Note that a confused character will not make attacks of opportunity against any creature that it is not already devoted to attacking (because of its most recent action).
- Synergy: This spell lays a charge on its victim. If a different charge is laid, the chaotic magics rip free in a cataclysmic fashion, inflicting (Circle 5 damage): 1d6+1 points of damage per character level (max 15d6+15 at character level 15) of psychic (energy, uncommon) damage to creatures with a mind.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.