Crushing Hand of the Magus (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Evocation
- Domain: strength 9
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, F (a soft silk glove, worth 1,000 gp)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: 10-ft. hand or 15 ft. hand
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Speaking the weighty stanzas of Crushing Hand creates a grey-glowing spectral hand adjacent to your space. This enormous hand appears well-formed and strong, lithe and supple, but obviously powerful. It may be size Large (120"), or Huge (180"). The Size Large or Huge Hand must have available open (unoccupied, unblocked) spaces to manifest, or the spell fails. Once summoned, the spaces of the Hand are considered Occupied, and friend and foe alike who wish to move into or through that space must use the normal rules (such as Clamber, Move Through, etc.) to do so, using the Casters Maneuver Defense and other stats.
- This gigantic hand cannot be targeted by any attack except Dispel Magic (Spell), Mage's Disjunction (Spell), and the like. If ordered to enter an Antimagic Field, or ordered to move beyond the range of the spell, the effect immediately ends. Note that this renders it immune to attacks of opportunity, not provoking, and all other sorts of conventional attack.
- Once summoned, this hand may serve in all respects as a Hand of the Magus (Spell) except it may handle a weight up to double your drag load if size Large, or four times your drag load if size Huge, without complaint, and may move up to 150 feet in a single round. This weight does not encumber the caster.
- As its appearance would indicate, the Crushing Hand is remarkably dextrous for its gigantic size, and can be used to make skill rolls at range (such as Disable Traps, or Sleight of Hand), and can perform the Grapple Combat Maneuver, using the caster's Caster Check in place of the normal Maneuver Offense check. Given the Hand's enormous size, there may be situational modifiers for these uses.
- Sending forth the Crushing Hand to Grapple is a Move action, and once adjacent to your target, the Grapple Maneuver is a standard action for the Caster. Any items the Hand was carrying when ordered to grapple are deposited in the space it occupied when sent forth.
- The Crushing Hand performs the grapple with its own size modifiers to the caster's Caster Check against the target's Maneuver Defense. If the caster wins the Grapple and chooses to do damage to the target, the Crushing Hand inflicts (Circle 7 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 20d6+40 at character level 20) as crushing (physical, common) damage each time the caster wins the Grapple and wishes to inflict damage. Causing the Hand to maintain a grapple costs a standard action each round.
- If the Crushing Hand loses a grapple, it dissipates harmlessly. If it kills its initial target, it likewise dissipates harmlessly.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.