Dancing Lantern (Spell)
- Level: Bard 1, Cleric 1, Ranger 1, Sorcerer/Wizard 1
- School: Enchantment
- Elemental School: fire 1
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A tiny clay figurine of a lantern, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: one target creature
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: No
- You speak thrilling words of power as you blow upon a figurine of a lantern you hold cupped in your hands. The figure first glows, then bursts into a bright flame you can direct.
- The lantern flame floats at shoulder height and remains within 5 feet of you, no matter how fast you move, unless you spend a standard action directing it to attack. The flame cannot support any additional weight. The lantern-flame illuminates as a hooded lantern as long as it persists.
- As a standard action (which can be included in the action of casting the spell), the flame can be directed by the caster to dance forth, moving erratically as it gutters wildly from the speed of its motion, to the limit of its range. This is a ray attack, and if the caster succeeds in a ranged touch attack, the lantern flame impacts a creature they choose to attack and inflicts (Circle 1 damage): 1d4 points of damage per character level (max 5d4 at character level 5) of fire (energy, common) damage to them. Whether the ray hits or misses, the spell is ended.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.