Energy Drain (Spell)
- Level: Cleric 9, Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Necromancy
- Subdomain: loss 9, undead 9
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small, finely polished sphere of jet, costing 1,000 gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: Ray of negative energy
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Ray attack, and see below.
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + 1/2 caster level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Upon completion of the vile, whispery phrases of this spell, it hurls forth a dire black beam, a Ray so utterly absent it can tear at the eyes and sanity of the unwary. The caster makes a ranged touch attack against a single creature in range. The creature struck gains 2d4 points of Essence Omission as their very being is shredded away. Twenty-four hours after gaining them, the subject must make a FORT saving throw (DC is the same as this spell’s save DC) for each point of Essence Omission. If the save succeeds, that point of Essence Omission is removed. If it fails, that point of Essence Omission becomes a point of Essence Destruction instead (though the same ability remains lost).
- Synergy: If a creature receives any other status condition while it is suffering from the status condition laid by this spell, the old condition may be replaced with a new effect. In such cases, the dire energy of this spell inflicts (Circle 10 damage): 1d6+4 points of damage per character level (max 25d6+100 at character level 25) of Negative Energy (energy, uncommon) damage as it is expelled from the victims body.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.