Fire Shield (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
- School: Evocation
- Domain: fire 5, sun 4
- Elemental School: fire 4
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (Phosphorus for the warm shield; a firefly or glowworm for the chill shield, either worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Self
- Target or Area: You
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Harmless (Fortitude negates)
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell wreathes you in flame and causes damage to each creature that attacks you in melee. The flames also grant you Immunity to fire-based or cold-based attacks, depending on if you choose cool or warm flames for your Fire Shield.
- Any creature striking you with its body or a handheld weapon deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes 1d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level (maximum +15). This damage is either Cold Damage (if you choose a chill shield) or Fire Damage (if you choose a warm shield). If the attacker has Spell Resistance, it applies to this effect. Creatures wielding melee weapons with reach are not subject to this damage if they attack you.
- When casting this spell, you appear to immolate yourself, but the flames are thin and wispy, increasing the light level within 10 feet by one step, up to normal light. The color of the flames is blue or green if the chill shield is cast, violet or red if the warm shield is employed. The special powers of each version are as follows.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.