Flaming Sphere (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
- School: Evocation
- Subdomain: arson 2
- Elemental School: fire 2
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A lump of tallow, brimstone, and powdered iron, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: 5-ft.-diameter sphere
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You make broad, circular gestures, flame trailing your hands as you swirl into existence a burning globe of fire, five feet in diameter.
- Once called into existence, in an open square adjacent to your space, you may expend a move action to command the flaming sphere to roll in whichever direction you point and burn all creatures it moves adjacent to, or who move adjacent to it, once per round per creature. (It does not burn the caster upon creation, although it is wise to move it quickly away.) It can also be commanded to explode (requiring a standard action) in a fiery gout of flames, affecting all creatures within ten feet of its space (a 5 x 5 square space, centered on the sphere). When commanded to explode it inflicts (Circle 2 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 6d6 at character level 6) of fire (energy, common) damage, with a saving throw as above for half damage. Exploding in this fashion does not end the spell.
- It moves 30 feet per Move action the caster expends, using either Walk or Vaulting as its movement type, in any combination desired. As part of this movement, it can ascend or jump up to 30 feet to strike a target. If it enters a space adjacent to a creature, it deals 3d6 points of Fire damage to that creature, though a successful save as defined above halves that damage. A Flaming Sphere illuminates the same area as a torch would.
- If not directed to move, the sphere stays at rest and burns any creature who moves adjacent to it, once per round per creature.
- It occupies a space as a creature does, and can be moved around by Combat maneuver checks, and its space can be entered (at the cost of being burned) through normal means such as Overruns or Clamber. It is not a creature or an ally, does not flank or make attacks of opportunity, and cannot be targeted for buff or debuff effects. It can be extinguished by any means that would put out a normal fire of its size. The surface of the sphere has a spongy, yielding consistency and so does not cause damage except by its flame.
- The Flaming Sphere is considered an attended object and cannot be harmed by hit point damage. It can be Sundered to destroy it, having a Durability of one. The difficulty of a Sunder check against the Sphere is the Maneuver Defense of the Caster. It cannot push aside unwilling creatures, batter down large obstacles, or inflict any Siege Damage. A Flaming Sphere winks out if it exceeds the spell's range.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.