Furnace Bones (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Evocation
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (a burned rib bone, worth 1 gp)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature, plus one per 10 character levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30) ally creatures touched
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: Harmless (Fortitude negates)
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- The deep, rough words of this spell are huffed out in throaty bursts, as wisps of smoke rise from the casters hands whenever they touch one of their allies. The affected allies must all be adjacent to the caster as the spell is cast, and touching each of them is automatically included in the casting time of this potent spell.
- At the conclusion of the casting, all affected allies receive a massive infusion of magical fire. They each must make a saving throw against the DC described above. If they make the save, the ravening burst of fire which is injected into their bodies is snuffed out by their resistance, and there is no further effect. If they fail this save (and like all saves, they may choose to fail it automatically), they suffer (Circle 2 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 6d6 at character level 6) points of fire (energy, common) damage. If they resist this fire damage, in whole or in part, via energy resistance or spell resistance or any other mechanism, then the spell ends and there is no further effect. If all of these points of fire damage are healed before the expiration of this spell, then the spell effect immediately ends.
- However, if they take the full amount of the fire damage from this spell, then the strengthening flames burn into the very core of their beings and infuses them with fiery might for as long as they retain any of the fire damage, or until the spell expires naturally.
- While under the effects of this mighty spell, a number of interesting effects occur. To allow a being to survive Furnace Bones, the spell changes the rest of the body to a composition of mostly elemental fire. All of a creatures possessions are affected as well, and will be unharmed at spell expiration. While converted, the creature's body becomes translucent and glows a dull red-orange with the tremendous heat. In this translucent figure can be seen the dim yellow-white glare of the beings skeleton, shining up through its flesh. This process means the creature emits bright light in a five foot radius around their space, which will completely negate ALL forms of darkness, even dimness auras of Shadow creatures, thus eliminating any miss chances due to lighting. This also means it is impossible to enter a Stealth stance while under the effects of this spell, as you are emitting light from your skin.
- Affected creatures feel light and buoyed up by the flames suffusing their bodies, and gain a Vaulting speed equal to their normal Walk speed.
- Affected creatures may inflict (Circle 2 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 6d6 at character level 6) of fire damage up to once per round if they make any successful attack via melee weapons, ranged weapons, unarmed attacks, spells, class features, racial ability's, combat maneuvers, etc. This fire damage is bonus damage. NOTE:The circle of Furnace Bones may be increased as normal, but doing so also increases the amount of damage inflicted when the spell affects target creatures. Handle with care!
- Lastly, if any creature affected by Furnace Bones ends their move action adjacent to an enemy creature, the indescribable heat beating off their flaming forms will cause smoldering embers to ignite in the enemies hair, skin, clothes, or possessions. While this effect is essentially harmless to the enemy, it does instantly reveal creatures who are invisible, and will even partially negate the benefits of faded, granting a +4 arcane bonus on any saving throws to remember the presence of that smoking fellow.... Lastly, the glowing embers and emitted smoke gives the enemy a -4 arcane penalty (that does not stack) to Stealth rolls.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.