Ghost Dance (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Illusion
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S
- Range: Self
- Target or Area: you
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: Harmless (Will negates)
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You whisper the eerie refrains of the stanzas of this spell nearly under your breath, as if you are being furtive in your actions and motives. Upon completion of this spell, a thousand or more spectral images of yourself fill your space, each doing a different unique activity. If you concentrate on your self, you can get lost in a thousand times a thousand times a thousand iterations of yourself, a deep, endless sea of selves, all doing a ghostly dance of living, each unique, each special and wonderful.....
- While under the effects of ghost dance, the caster's movement no longer provokes attacks of opportunity unless they want them to. The caster may choose, per creature, whether or not they provoke an attack of opportunity due to their movement. The caster, even under the effects of this spell, always provokes an attack of opportunity by performing actions which provoke but are not caused by the caster's movement.
- If you choose to provoke an attack of opportunity due to your movement, when you are subject to an attack of opportunity, the attacker finds that the ghostly image of yourself is attacking them back! Any creature that attacks you during a move action while you are a dancing ghost, suffers (Circle 9 damage): 1d6+3 points of damage per character level (max 25d6+75 at character level 25) of fictive (energy, uncommon) damage, as the ghostly fists or fingernails or claws or weapons of one of your nigh-infinite ghostly selves strikes them in a most deadly manner. There is no saving throw against this damage, and it occurs when they declare their intention to strike you, regardless of whether they actually hit you or not. Note, even if their attack kills you or knocks you unconscious, your myriad of ghosts still makes your counterstrike and inflicts the damage.
- Even worse, if you choose to provoke an attack of opportunity against an enemy, and they choose NOT to attack you, they still take half damage, as your ghostly legion of dancing partners still punish them for the mere POSSIBILITY that they could have had the temerity to attack you in the midst of your glorious dance.
- Note that this spell is seductively self-destructive. This is the glory and terror of Ghost Dance. Do you dare it?
- Do you?
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.