Gnoll Claw Fighter (CR 8)
Chaotic Evil - Medium - Humanoid (Gnoll)
- Gnolls are, in general, vile things. But the Claw Fighter is the most animalistic of gnolls, the one closest to their hyena nature. Claw Fighters wear the rudiments of clothing at best, crouch on all fours, and their speech is babyish, often interrupted by compulsive yipping giggles that are terrible to hear. Perhaps the worst thing about Claw Fighters is that they are not stupid. They are as intelligent as any Gnoll, and are fully aware of their degenerate state compared to other Gnolls.
- Claw Fighters are hunched things that seem to never stand still. They are always twitching and swaying, shuffling in little circles, their terrible eyes peering over toothy maws stretched wide by painful giggles and lolling tongues. Claw Fighters would be MUCH better at stealth than they already are, if they could only stand still and stop giggling. Even as it is, they are still uncomfortably good at creeping up on their victims. Claw Fighters are eager cannibals, eating every sentient race including other gnolls.
- In Gnoll society, claw fighters are, weirdly enough, not looked down upon for their foibles. Indeed, Claw Fighters are not exactly revered, but they are certainly respected. Part of that might have to do with their absolute savagery in combat, which, combined with their horrible strained laughter, is very effective.
- Init: +17
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 27
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 27
- Hit Points: 125 (Bloodied Value: 62) Hit Dice: 13
- Fort: +11 Refl: +7 Will: +7
- Special Defenses:
- Strong Against:
- Weak Against:
- Movement Types: Walk 40 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Gnoll Bite +17 (1d10+9/x2) as crushing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- Standard Ranged:
- Maneuver Offense: +13
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 19 Dex: 15 Con: 14 Int: 9 Wis: 12 Cha: 8
- Languages: Gnoll
Giggling Charge (Su)
- Once per encounter, the Claw Fighter may make a charge attack and use Giggling Charge. As part of the Bite attack made in the Charge, the Gnoll may force the victim of the Giggling Charge to make a Will Save against a DC of 21, regardless of whether the attack hits or misses. Those who fail this Will Save are Baffled for one round. Those who make this Will save are instead Dazzled for one round. This is a sonic based mind-affecting power.
Pack Attack (Ex)
- Any time a Claw Fighter would receive a bonus to-hit for a Flank, it doubles the to-hit bonus, to +4 instead of +2.
- As a full-attack action, the gnoll may use its animalistic nature to drop to all fours and Slink to the attack against its enemies. It may move up to 15 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity, and take a full attack (claw/claw/bite) at any point during the movement. If it desires, it may make all these attacks upon a single enemy, or it may spread them among enemies it passes as it wishes. All attack bonuses (such as for flanking) are calculated for each square in which the gnoll makes an attack.
- Claw Fighter Gnolls are sly but eager combatants. They will try to sneak up on victims if they can, although their stealth leaves a lot to be desired. Once the battle is joined, they will use Giggling Charge to race to the attack on all fours, cackling the whole time, and try to inflict Baffled or Dazzled upon as many enemies as they can.
- Once in melee, fighting Claw Fighters is a disorienting experience, as they will use Slink every round to set themselves up for Pack Attack flanking bonuses. They are quite infuriating, especially with the constant giggling. Even worse, Claw Fighters are not stupid. If there are soft targets in a party, they will utterly ignore the heavily armored sorts and use Slink to go and attack the clothies mercilessly. Wise opponents will seek to go 'back to back' against Claw Fighters, and unwise opponents will suffer.
- Claw Fighters are not courageous, and will flee a battle without hesitation...if they think of it. Claw Fighters love fighting and love killing things, and can easily become distracted in a fight to the point that they will fail to flee until it is far too late.
Out of Combat
- Claw Fighters are some of the most high-visibility Gnolls, even though there are lots of other kinds of Gnolls out there. Their appearance and behavior, with the constant strained giggling, is frankly unnerving. Even worse is their demeanor of murderous cannibalism. Everyone knows they eat sentients, and like it.
- As a result, quite a few Claw Fighters wind up working as 'muscle' for more civilized types. Even though they are true horror shows, they are not stupid and can be made to restrain themselves. They make great threatening henchmen, and can be found in the company of unsavory sorts for lots of reasons, none of them good.
- XP: 4,800
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 3,875 gp.
- Weight: 80 lbs. Volume: 3.2 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)