Goblin Firetamer (CR 2)
Pure Evil - Small - Fey (Goblinoid)
- Small green humanoids with oversized heads, brimming with sharp teeth, goblins are known for being aggressive, and, above all, a bit crazy.
- Goblins can be found nearly anywhere that food can be had, but like caves, ruins and abandoned areas since they prefer not to have to build stuff if they can avoid it. That is not to say that goblins are stupid, merely lazy. In fact, goblins have been known to lay traps so elaborate that they forget how they work and fall prey to them themselves.
- Goblins are not welcome in civilized areas, as they behave somewhat like drug-addled children on their best days. However, they have a fondness for elaborate, tricky things such as clocks and wagons, so they are often found around the edges of towns hoping to steal something interesting when no one is looking. Goblins rarely make massive raids against villages, nor are they prone to large-scale warfare. Instead, they count thievery, stealth, traps and ambushes to be the most honorable way to gain status.
- Goblins have a love-hate relationship with fire. Goblins adore fire, but no matter how much it is worshiped, it keeps biting them. That doesn't prevent them from trying, of course. Most goblins will take any opportunity to play with fire, and believe fire to be the greatest of all forces in the Universe (it makes food tasty AND can destroy things!).
- In addition to fire, Goblins can be quite manic about any number of things, individually, and can take these ephemeral obsessions to such extremes that they will forget to eat or sleep for days in their quest to master their new fancy.
- Goblin Firetamers are the high priests of the goblin clans, having gained a mystical control over fire, much to the awe of their tribe. They wield powerful alchemies and provide leadership buffs to their allies. They are, if anything, even more in love with fire than regular goblins, and many have been known to burn themselves to death with their own experiments, enraptured throughout the process.
- Init: +5
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 15
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 15
- Hit Points: 26 (Bloodied Value: 13) Hit Dice: 3
- Fort: +2 Refl: +2 Will: +5
- Special Defenses:
- Immune to its own bombs while fetish is unbroken; see Fetish
- Strong Against:
- Weak Against:
- (Fey 1) Vulnerable (1.5x damage): Cold Iron
- Movement Types: Walk 30 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Cleaver +7 (1d4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- 3x Cleaver +7 (1d4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Standard Ranged:
- Full Ranged:
- Maneuver Offense: +3
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 9 Dex: 15 Con: 12 Int: 16 Wis: 5 Cha: 6
- Feats: Throw Anything (EFFECT: No penalties for improvised ranged weapons)
- Languages: Goblin, Common
Alchemist Bomb (Sp)
- Any time the goblin firetamer makes a ranged attack, it is in the form of a splash weapon versus the target's touch AC. If it hits, it deals 1d6 points of fire (energy, common) damage to the primary target, and 2 points of splash damage to all adjacent squares. Splash targets do not receive a saving throw against this damage.
- If the bomb misses the primary target, it instead explodes in a nearby space, as described in the Splash Weapons rules. If a bomb critically hits, it deals double damage to the primary target only. Throwing the bombs provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening enemies.
- Firetamers always have as many bombs as they need.
- Once per encounter as a swift action, the Firetamer may break his fetish, granting him a free standard action. This behaves in all ways as an action point, except cooler!
- While unbroken, the fetish protects the Firetamer from his own bombs completely. This is rough on his fellow goblins, however.
Incite Mob (Su)
- Once per round as a standard action, the Firetamer may cavort and shout at his allies within 30 feet, granting them a bonus of +1 to hit, +1 to AC and +1 to all saving throws. This effect lasts until the start of the Firetamer's next turn.
- If any affected ally has a negative status condition on them when this ability is used, then that creature does not gain this buff, but the status condition immediately ends.
- Firetamers stay behind their tribe-mates and use their incite power nearly every round. If their enemies bunch up enticingly, they will break their fetish and throw a bomb. Once they start throwing bombs, they get excited from all the fire around, and keep hucking bombs to best effect.
- Their throw anything feat allows them to throw rocks or anything else, if the fire isn't working out (though obviously, fire always works out. It's FIRE!)
Out of Combat
- Goblin firetamers tend to be a good bit smarter than the average goblin, but they make terrible leaders. Indeed, they are best avoided, even by the bravest of goblins, as firetamers have a nasty habit of trying out their lastest bomb formulas on anyone nearby.
- XP: 600
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 500 gp.
- Weight: 20 lbs. Volume: 0.8 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)