Grick (CR 4)
Neutral Evil - Medium - Aberration
- Gricks are wormlike alchemical abominations which were created eons ago by the same kind of madmen that thought owlbears and bulettes were a great idea. Gricks have a darkly mottled skin texture rather akin to a garden slug, but unlike a slug, a grick is the very paragon of rubbery durability. Even worse, Gricks can change their color, slowly, over the space of hours, to match the territory they inhabit.
- Gricks have four sturdy tentacles at the front of their bodies, liberally equipped with rasping bone scutes and octopus-like suckers. These suckers extend to their pale bellies, as well. Mercifully, the suckers are of little use in combat, instead granting the horrible things a climb speed, and allowing them to drag prey with unnerving ease.
- An adult grick is about 8 feet long from the tips of its tentacles to the end of its body and weighs some 200 pounds. Its body coloration is uniformly dark, with a pale underbelly, although the exact color varies with their habitat.
- Although of animal intelligence, gricks are inherently and utterly evil, and will attack with cruel intent even when not hungry.
- Lore Check: Know (Dungeoneering) (Basic: DC 8; Full: DC 23)
- Init: +8
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 20
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 20 (+4 vs Trips)
- Hit Points: 50 (Bloodied Value: ) Hit Dice:
- Fort: +3 Refl: +3 Will: +7
- Special Defenses:
- Strong Against:
- Weak Against:
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Tentacle Strike + (1d10+6/x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- Standard Ranged:
- Maneuver Offense: +8
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 14 Dex: 14 Con: 11 Int: 3 Wis: 14 Cha: 5
Tentacle Swarm (Ex)
- As a full attack action, a Grick may use Tentacle Swarm to attack all creatures in a 10 x 10 foot square adjacent to its space. It rolls to hit once against each foe in the area of effect, and if it hits, it deals its normal tentacle strike damage, plus an additional 1d6 of precision damage to each foe struck. All damage is considered slashing (physical, common) for purposes of resisting it with DR.
Weapon Sense (Su)
- If any grick in a combat is damaged by a magical weapon that pierces its DR, all gricks in the combat know which of their enemies have that magic weapon and will target it if possible. If they cannot reach the foe with the magical weapon safely, they will fight normally. Multiple foes with magical weapons will be targeted as evenly as possible, and if there are more magical weapons than gricks, they will flee the battle if possible.
- Gricks attack when hungry, threatened, or when they feel like killing something. They are vicious killers, but are oddly capricious, sometimes crawling right past prey even when hungry. They hunt by holing up near high-traffic areas, using their natural coloration to blend into convenient shadows. When prey (virtually anything that moves) ventures near, they lash out with their tentacles, seeking to get as many victims in their tentacle swarms as often as possible.
- Defensively, a grick's rubbery body seems to shed blows of any kind and they will crawl into melee without fear unless they are attacked by a magical weapon. The wielder of a magical weapon is immediately targeted for death by all gricks in a combat. How they all know when one of them is attacked with magic is a mystery.
- Their jaws are relatively small and weak compared to its body mass, so rather than consume prey immediately, a grick normally drags victims back to their lair to be eaten at leisure.
- A grick's natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
- Multiple gricks do not fight in concert. Each attacks the prey closest to it, and breaks off the fight as soon as it can drag dead or unconscious prey away. If foes have magical weapons and don't die in a round of concerted attack, gricks will flee the fight by climbing away if possible.
Out of Combat
- XP: 1,200
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 1,188 gp.
- Weight: 50 lbs. Volume: 2 cu ft
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)