Gust of Wind (Spell)
- Level: Druid 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 2
- School: Evocation
- Subdomain: catastrophe 2
- Elemental School: air 2
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S
- Range: Self
- Target or Area: all creatures in target area (friend or foe), in a 3 square by 9 square space adjacent to your space, of which the 3 square side must share a side with the casters space.
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell creates a severe blast of air that originates from you, possibly affecting all creatures in its path. All flying creatures in this area take a -4 penalty on Movement checks. All creatures are subjected to (Circle 1 damage): 1d4 points of damage per character level (max 5d4 at character level 5) of buffeting (physical, uncommon) damage, as they are slammed and pummeled by the gusty flow of wind. A save as noted above will lower this damage by half.
- Tiny or smaller flying creatures must make a Movement (Fly) skill check against a Challenging DC for the CR of the caster or suffer a Push to the end of the area of effect (up to nine squares). Small or smaller flying creatures must make a Movement (Fly) skill check against an Average DC for the CR of the caster to avoid the Push.
- Size Medium and smaller creatures on the ground must make an Average DC Movement check against the CR of the caster to avoid being Pushed 1 square.
- Large or larger creatures may move normally within a Gust of Wind effect.
- This spell can't move a creature beyond the limit of its range, but it is permissible to 'edge' opponents diagonally to make them stack up neater.
- The force of the gust automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar small, unprotected flames. It causes protected flames, such as those in lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish those lights.
- In addition to the effects noted, a Gust of Wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create a stinging spray of sand or dust, fan a large fire, overturn delicate awnings or hangings, heel over a small boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of its range. Other Environmental Effects may disperse or enhance this spell at the GM's discretion, and indeed, this spell is quite susceptible to many Environmental Effects. Using Gust of Wind during a Hurricane is not likely to receive much notice!
- This spell can be used to disperse Obscuring spells. Gases, fogs, and vapors that intersect the squares occupied by this spell are dispersed in those squares.
- Obscuring spells include: Obscuring (Acid Fog (Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud (Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud, Greater (Spell), Barrow Haze (Spell), Cloudkill (Spell), Euphoric Cloud (Spell), Fog Cloud (Spell), Incendiary Cloud (Spell), Mind Fog (Spell), Nauseating Trail (Spell), Plague Storm (Spell), Solid Fog (Spell), Stinking Cloud (Spell), Twilight Haze (Spell)), and any other effects the GM rules as being affected.