Hold Animal (Ranger Poultice)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: one Animal or Magical Beast
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: WILL partial; see text
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + 1/2 character level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This poultice is made of catsnip, wolfsbane, poke weed, and numerous other succulent, delectable, and irresistibly aromatic herbs and spices. The holder crushes it vigorously to activate the scents, flavors, and appearance, then it flies from your hand to a square within the poultice's range you choose adjacent to a target animal.
The target animal or magical beast is utterly transfixed by the morsel, and delights in sniffing, eating, or adoring it. In game terms, it becomes Paralyzed and freezes in place, except for enjoying the poultice. It is aware and breathes normally but cannot take any actions, even speech, until it expends a Full-Round Action and a Move Action to end the condition. If a creature successfully saves against the spell, it is still Paralyzed, but must only expend a Move Action to end the condition. A winged creature who is paralyzed cannot flap its wings and falls. A swimmer can't swim and may drown.