- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Abjuration
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (Two links of a heavy chain, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: creature touched
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Fortitude to partially resist, see below.
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- When you cast Imprisonment, the rough, grinding phrases of this spell snarl from your throat, freighted with awful power. The magic of the spell imbues your hands with aching iron power, allowing you to make a melee touch attack. If you strike your target creature, the spell is discharged into their form. If you do not hit with a touch attack, the power remains until the end of the combat or until you successfully make a touch attack.
- When you strike a creature, massive chains of some grey and terrible substance clap around it, inflicting Paralyzed as they immobilize every twitch and blink. Once the creature is firmly held, the true awful might of this spell is revealed as the chains grind and gnash horribly at their helpless victim. The chains inflict (Circle 8 damage): 1d6+3 points of damage per character level (max 21d6+63 at character level 21) of gnashing (physical, uncommon) damage, without benefit of save.
- On the round after the creature was touched and paralyzed, the chains begin to fade from existence. If their victim was killed by the damage, their body fades from existence and is utterly gone, leaving only a small cache of treasure nearby. If the creature is still alive, they may make a Fortitude saving throw as the chains fade away. If they make the save, they are left unhampered in their space.
- If the victim fails their saving throw, they instead fade from existence along with the chains. The creature is entombed in a state of suspended animation 'somewhere else', and the only evidence they ever existed is a small stone of the same material as the chains which is left somewhere nearby, along with a cache of treasure as above. The subject remains trapped there unless a Freedom (Spell) is cast at the locale where the Imprisonment took place, or upon the small stone. The stone may not be destroyed by any known force as long as the prison persists. No form of conventional searching will locate the creatures prison, but certain Skill Rolls (determined by the GM) and possibly research in a Library may reveal how to locate the creature. Rumor holds that doing this research in another Plane may help....
- A Wish (Spell) or Miracle (Spell) will not free the recipient or locate the stone, but will reveal where it is entombed.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.