Interposing Hand of the Magus (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 5
- School: Evocation
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, F (a soft glove)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: See Below
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Will partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Intoning the pentameters of Interposing Hand creates a grey-glowing spectral hand in your space, or adjacent to your space. This hand may be size Tiny (30"), Small (45"), Medium (60") or even Large (120"). The Size Small, Medium, or Large Hand must have available open (unoccupied, unblocked) spaces to manifest, or the spell fails. Once summoned, the spaces of the Hand is considered Occupied, and friend and foe alike who wish to move into or through that space must use the normal rules (such as Clamber, Move Through, etc.) to do so, using the Casters Maneuver Defense and other stats.
- This hand cannot be targeted by any attack except Dispel Magic (Spell), Mage's Disjunction (Spell), and the like. If ordered to enter an Antimagic Field, or ordered to move beyond the range of the spell, the effect immediately ends.
- Once summoned, this hand may serve in all respects as a Hand of the Magus (Spell) except it may handle a weight up to your Heavy load without complaint and may move up to 60 feet in a single round. Aside from that useful function, it may be used for several additional functions.
- This spell is not able to perform actions with dexterity or finesse, and thus it may not be used to make skill checks or combat maneuvers or affect creatures in any other significant way, save the following:
- As a swift action, during combat, you may designate a single foe and order the Hand to interpose itself between you and it. The floating, disembodied hand then moves in legal squares adjacent to your space so it remains between the two of you, regardless of where you move or how the opponent tries to get around it, providing partial cover (+4 AC) for you against that opponent. Nothing can fool the Hand - it stays between you and the selected opponent in spite of darkness, invisibility, polymorphing, or any other attempt at hiding or disguise. The Hand does not pursue an opponent or move away from your space, however. Directing the spell to interpose itself against a new target is a separate swift action.
- As a move action, the caster may command the Hand to perform an insulting gesture, the details of which are left to the discretion of the referee but are executed in a very forceful manner, which triggers the spectral energies of the Hand. As a result of this insult, up to one enemy creature you choose, plus one more per ten caster levels of the caster, drop fractions, maximum four, who can see the Hand, are intensely insulted and incensed. Performing this gesture discharges the magic empowering the Hand, dispelling it. Anything the Hand was carrying drops unattended in its former space.
- Affected creatures are allowed a WILL save against the DC calculated above. If they fail this save, they suffer (Circle 5 damage): 1d6+1 points of damage per character level (max 15d6+15 at character level 15). This is inflicted as negative (energy, uncommon) and they are Vexed. If they make the save, they take half damage and are not Vexed.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.