- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
- School: Transmutation
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, M (A set of cheap, flimsy, tiny tools, worth 1gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: One door, box, or chest with an area of up to 2 x 2 squares.
- Duration: Instant; see text
- Saving Throw: none
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You mutter distractedly, staring at the target of your workings. Knock opens stuck, barred, or locked doors, as well as those subject to Hold Portal (Spell) or Arcane Lock (Spell).
- When you complete the casting of this spell against a mechanical or magical lock, make a Caster Check against the DC of the lock, as described on the Disable Device page.
- If successful, Knock opens one means of closure. If a chest is locked and also glued shut, Knock will open one of those two strictures. If a door is locked, barred, and wedged, then it takes three castings of Knock to open it completely.
- This spell opens secret doors, as well as locked or trick-opening boxes or chests. It also loosens welds, shackles, or chains (provided they serve to hold something shut). If used to open an Arcane Locked (Spell) door, the spell does not remove the Arcane Lock (Spell) but simply suspends its functioning for 10 minutes. In all other cases, the door does not relock itself or become stuck again on its own.
- Knock does not raise barred gates or similar impediments (such as a portcullis), nor does it affect ropes, vines, and the like. Refer to the Might skill for those sorts of troubles. The effect is limited by the area. Each casting can undo only one means of preventing access.