Kobold Skirmisher (CR 1)
Lawful Evil - Small - Humanoid (Kobold)
- Kobolds revere dragons and tend to dwell in and around places where dragons are known to lair. They skulk in the darkness, hiding from stronger foes and swarming to overwhelm weaker ones. Kobolds are cowardly and usually flee once bloodied unless a strong leader is present. Kobolds like to set traps and ambushes. If they can't get their enemies to walk into a trap, they try to sneak up as close as they can and then attack in a sudden rush.
- Init: +7
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 14
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 15
- Hit Points: 20 (Bloodied Value: 10) Hit Dice: 2
- Fort: +1 Refl: +4 Will: +1
- Special Defenses:
- +2 racial bonus to AC and saving throws vs. Traps
- Strong Against:
- Weak Against:
- Movement Types: Walk 30 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Spear +6 (1d4/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- 3x Spear +6 (1d4/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common)
- Standard Ranged:
- 1x Thrown Spear +7 (1d4/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common) (Increment: 20 ft.; Max Range: 100 ft.)
- Full Ranged:
- 3x Thrown Spear +7 (1d4/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common) (Increment: 20 ft.; Max Range: 100 ft.)
- Maneuver Offense: +4
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 10 Dex: 12 Con: 11 Int: 6 Wis: 10 Cha: 15
- Languages: Common, Draconic
Sneak Attack (Ex)
- If a kobold makes an attack against an unaware or flat-footed foe, he deals an extra 1d4 as precision damage on a successful attack (as more piercing (physical, common) damage).
Mob Attack (Ex)
- For each adjacent kobold ally, the kobold gains a +1 racial bonus to its to-hit rolls. This bonus may not exceed +3.
- Once per round, the kobold may make a 5-foot step as a swift action. This may be done regardless of any movement or 5-foot steps the kobold may have taken during their move action. This movement does not provoke.
- Kobolds prefer to lay in wait for their prey, frequently setting up some devilish trap in their ambush kill zone. They will make effective use of their ranged attack, and also shifty to surround their opponents over the course of a round or two.
- They will also use Mob Attack to try to maximize their to-hit chances.
- They prefer tight areas for their fights, so their victims don't have many avenues of escape. If they have enough time to prepare the ambush site, they will trap the obvious exits, either to prevent runners, or to impede pursuers, in the event the fight goes poorly.
- Kobolds will sometimes flee a fight, depending on strange cultural rules that aren't well understood by outsiders. (This is best represented by a die roll with a 50% chance of running from a fight turned sour.) Other times, they will courageously fight to the death.
Out of Combat
- Kobolds have a cultish zeal for any dragon that lives in the area, often erecting temples and assisting in the construction and defense of the dragon's lair. Even the lowliest dragon is vastly more powerful than any kobold, even on its worst day, but that doesn't change the fact that dragons see kobolds as useful.
- It is unclear what benefit kobolds gain from their worship of dragons, though some stories suggest kobolds have access to divine spells and powers, like a cleric, and these powers are granted by their dragon.
- Kobolds follow a peculiar system of honor, which follows such an elaborate pattern that it is all but unintelligible to outsiders, even those who can speak Draconic fluently.
- XP: 400
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 219 gp.
- Weight: 10 lbs. Volume: 0.4 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)