Leatherleaf (CR 6)
Neutral - Medium - Plant
- Leatherleaf refers to extremely hardy and very dangerous plants that infest the wilds. Leatherleafs thrive anywhere with good access to sunlight, water, and victims. In a pinch, they can do without water, as long as victims are available.
- Leatherleafs are mobile plants, able to creep about at a surprising pace for a plant. They are extremely hard to damage or destroy and quite deadly. Fortunately, leatherleaf is a fairly distinctive looking plant, with its stiff, leathery leaves, thick sturdy stems and branches, and copious assortment of poisonous thorns.
- A leatherleaf infestation is best burned out from a distance; their intensely allergenic leaves and deadly raking stems are best avoided at all costs.
- Init: +11
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 24
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 23
- Hit Points: 82 (Bloodied Value: 41) Hit Dice: 9
- Fort: +9 Refl: +5 Will: +5
- Special Defenses:
- DR 6/-
- Strong Against:
- (Mindless) Immune (no effect): all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, fear, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms)
- (Plant 1) Immune (no effect): poisons (tainted, poisoned, blighted), magical sleep (drowsy, sluggish, asleep), paralyzed, stunned, polymorph
- (Plant 2) Immune (no effect): Forced movement (including Drag, Reposition), Prone (quelled, prone, splayed)
- Weak Against:
- Vulnerable (1.5x damage): fire (energy, common); no Spell Resistance (SR) vs. Fire spells.
- Movement Types: Walk 10 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Thorn Rake +11 (2d8+4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- 3x Thorn Rake +11 (2d8+4/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Standard Ranged:
- Maneuver Offense: +10
- Siege Damage:
- 1x Digging Roots +10 (1d3)
- Str: 14 Dex: 12 Con: 22 Int: — Wis: 10 Cha: 16
- Perception +11
- All other skills: +6 (no ranks)
Allergic Aura (Ex, Aura 10')
- Leatherleafs have sap and pollen that provokes an intense allergic reaction in anyone nearby. Any creature that begins their turn within ten feet of a Leatherleaf must make a Fort save, DC 19, or become Sickened until the end of the encounter, and suffer 2d8+4 of poison (physical, uncommon) damage. Those who succeed on the save take only half damage and are not Afflicted. Once a creature has made this saving throw, succeed or fail, against a given leatherleaf's aura, they take no damage and are immune to that leatherleaf's aura for 24 hours. Note that leatherleafs are always immune to their own aura and the aura of all other leatherleafs.
Spell Resistance (Su)
- Leatherleafs have spell resistance, requiring any spells cast upon them to first make a Caster Check. If the check equals or exceeds the leatherleaf's Maneuver Defense (DC 23) it works as normal. However, caster checks less than this target DC cause the spell to completely fail to affect them. In such cases, the spell is expended, and has no effect on the leatherleaf, even if the spell would normally inflict an effect on a successful saving throw.
- Leatherleafs are aggressive mobile plants that treat all animals as their deadly enemies. Once a leatherleaf sense an animal moving with its tremorsense, it will uproot and begin moving toward that animal with slow, deadly intent.
- Stopping an incoming leatherleaf hedge can be a nightmarish process: They are completely immune to arrows and spears, have massive amounts of resistance to everything else and shrug off spells with scary ease.
- Leatherleafs will seek to move in close enough that their allergic sap and pollen weakens their enemies and then will close in for the kill.
- About the only good thing about a leatherleaf is the fact that they are vulnerable to good old-fashioned fire.
Out of Combat
- Leatherleaf is able to slowly but steadily destroy most structures if they are allowed to grow unchecked. They are too slow and vulnerable to fire to be of much use in siege operations, but abandoned structures in places where leatherleaf grows can be converted to picturesque ruins in a matter of hours.
- XP: 2,400
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 2,125 gp.
- Weight: 70 lbs. Volume: 2.8 cu ft
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)