Moryo Oni (CR 10)
True Chaotic - Medium - Monstrous Humanoid
- No matter how many or how few Gods you believe to exist, the truth of the matter is that spread across all possible realities there are Gods uncountable. Since Gods have a much higher order of perception than mere mortals, they have worked, over the eons, to form a structure, a Celestial Cascade, with the multitude of deities able to interact with one another and their worshipers in a way that allows the greatest harmony.
- Perhaps not in your world, (or maybe it is!) a small portion of the Celestial Cascade became more highly organized than most, and became known as the Celestial Bureaucracy. The Celestial Bureaucracy is vast beyond reckoning, even though it is a small portion of the Cascade, and is probably the single largest Deific structure in existence. As a result, the servants and minions of the Celestial Bureaucracy can be found in almost every world, even ones that have never heard of the Bureaucracy, or even the Cascade!
- These servants and minions are known as the Oni. They are a large collection of humanoid beings, empowered with Celestial might. And that is the end of their similarities. Oni come in all colors, with variable faces and features, variable numbers of limbs, and with widely varying degrees of autonomy and kindness. Some Oni are quite benevolent, while others would cause a Demon to cower in fear from their awfulness. It should be mentioned that Oni are not exactly evil, but they are also emphatically not good, and they are very very alien compared to most other creatures. It is rare indeed to meet an Oni who has your best interests in mind, and even if they do, Oni are remarkably changeable and fractious creatures, and are likely to turn on you in a heartbeat, purely on a whim.
- The Moryo Oni is the least of the commonly encountered Oni. They are tall, strongly built creatures with skin of various shades and features that are quite mutable. Some Moryo Oni are loyal to the Celestial Bureaucracy, while many others have 'drifted' and are now free agents, doing as they will in whatever worlds they find themselves in. Moryo Oni are always wilderness spirits, associated with trees and rivers, with mountains and deep crevices. If encountered in a dungeon or civilized venue, they will always have a certain wild air to them, disheveled hair or roaming eyes or clothing and gear decorated in natural scenes. Oni are beloved by deities and are masters of the Art Of Balance, and will be unpredictable at the best of times. In all cases, they have a wild and violent streak that makes them dangerous, so approach with care!
- Init: +19
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 28
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 31
- Hit Points: 175 (Bloodied Value: 87) Hit Dice: 16
- Fort: +15 Refl: +12 Will: +12
- Special Defenses:
- Strong Against:
- Weak Against:
- Vulnerable (1.5x damage): sonic (energy, common)
- Movement Types: Walk 50 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Studded Club +20 (2d8+4/19-20 x2) as bludgeoning (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- 3x Studded Club +20 (2d8+4/19-20 x2) as bludgeoning (physical, common)
- Standard Ranged:
- 1x Asymmetric Longbow +20 (2d8+4/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common) (Increment: 100 ft.; Max Range: 1000 ft.)
- Full Ranged:
- 3x Asymmetric Longbow +20 (2d8+4/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common) (Increment: 100 ft.; Max Range: 1000 ft.)
- Maneuver Offense: +16
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 16 Dex: 18 Con: 18 Int: 12 Wis: 18 Cha: 16
- Feats: Power Attack (EFFECT: This monster may take a -2 to all to-hits in exchange for a +8 bonus damage per attack.)
- Languages: Celestial, Reave, Common, Abyssal
- As part of their Art of Balance, a philosophy that balances Good and Evil but emphasizes change, oni have the ability to walk in the shoes of their enemies. Literally.
- Once per encounter, as a move action, an oni may forcibly exchange positions with another creature, the both of them flying wildly through the air. To use the Yin-Yang ability, the oni must have line of sight and line of effect to their target, and vice-versa. The oni must be within 30 feet of its intended target. The oni declares they are using Yin-Yang, and they swap places, both of them moving up to six squares, with each ending up in the starting square of the other.
- This ability is only usable on a foe the same size as the Oni or smaller, and both parties of the movement must be able to fit into their ending squares without squeezing. Yin-Yang is resolved as two forced movements, and each is resolved simultaneously, before the studded club attack (see below) is resolved. No Yin-Yang movement ever provokes attacks of opportunity or bonus attacks of any sort, not even a held action.
- During this forced movement, the Oni is allowed to make a single bonus Studded Club attack on its startled foe, as they pass by each other in the center of the Yin-Yang, at the normal chance to-hit and inflicting normal damage if they hit. The Oni may use their Power Attack feat on this attack if they wish, with the normal bonuses, penalties, and restrictions. The victim is not allowed to make an attack in return, even if they normally have some power or ability which would permit such a thing.
- As with all forced movement, either the Oni or the victim may fall prone at any point along the path of the travel to end the forced movement in that square. If one of the creatures affected by Yin-Yang falls prone or otherwise resists some or all of this forced movement, the Oni does NOT get a Studded Club attack unless they have already become adjacent, and may be forced to end their movement early as the other person in the Yin-Yang affect may now block their movement. Falling prone or otherwise resisting must therefore be declared before the Oni makes their attack roll.
Channel Divine Balance (Su)
- Oni are creatures of the Divine, and as such they may call upon Divine Power. Once per encounter (or up to once per minute outside of combat) an Oni may Channel Divine Balance. This burst of divine magic can have one of two effects:
- Channel Divine Balance heals the Oni and any allies for 2d10+9 points of damage, and inflicts a -1 to-hit, damage, saves, and ability checks on all foes within thirty feet of the Oni's space as a divine bonus. This debuff persists until the end of the encounter, or 1 minute if used outside of combat.
- The Channel Divinity damages all foes of the Oni for 2d10+9 points of holy (energy, rare) damage (Will Save, DC 23 for half damage) and grants a +1 to-hit, damage, saves, and ability checks to all allies of the Oni as a divine bonus. This buff persists until the end of the encounter, or 1 minute if used outside of combat.
- Note that multiple applications of Channel Divine Balance will always heal or inflict damage, but the buffs and debuffs DO NOT stack, since they are all divine bonuses. All buffs and debuffs from Channel Divine Balance last until the end of the encounter unless removed first.
- Oni are strange and alien foes, wearing weird armor and carrying strange weapons and having weird coloration with horns and eyes. To reflect this strangeness, Oni have a weird power, Yin-Yang.
- Yin-Yang is odd and powerful. Oni can use it on themselves as well as their enemies, and they will be smart about it. If they have a friend in trouble, they will use Yin-Yang to pull them out of trouble. Oni can and will fall Prone to cut short their own motion, leaving a foe who has been pulled out of position.
- Oni have a very capable ranged attack capability, and will be content to stay at range and fire away with their Asymmetric Longbows. If they are taking damage, each round one of them will use Channel Divine Balance to heal themselves. Oni can keep up this 'fire and heal' trick for quite a long time.
- Once the battle closes to melee, Oni will use Yin-Yang as they see fit to improve matters for themselves. They will move foes away from allies, place them in flanks, and otherwise use Yin-Yang to bedevil their foes in many ways. In combat, their Studded Club attacks can benefit from their Power Attack feat, and they will usually save it for times whent hey have flanks, or otherwise have an edge. If an Oni can catch a foe off guard by acting first in combat, then a Yin-Yang with a free Club attack with Power Attack while your opponent is flat-footed is a nice way to start things off in an Oni's mind.
- Fighting Oni is a very different battle than most, with positions on the field liable to change abruptly and chaotically. Oni are also opportunists, and will use their high ground speed and Power Attack Feat to do such nasty tricks as flank a prone opponent and get Power Attacks on them, which is certainly enough to get your attention.
- Once battle is joined Oni will never withdraw. Dying on the Prime Material Plane is not a big deal for an Oni, so they have little fear.
Out of Combat
- Moryo Oni are humble followers of the Path of Balance, and thus seek to be agents of change, both for good or ill. Any government they come across is at risk from their actions, regardless of how good or bad, and they can rarely leave a city or town without a few Town Watch heads on their belts. They can do deeds of selfless kindness and compassion, followed up by a rampage of murderous torture.
- It all makes sense to the Oni, but nobody else has ever been able to keep up with their wily, erratic minds.
- As you can imagine, they wander around a LOT.
- XP: 9,600
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 6,875 gp.
- Weight: 100 lbs. Volume: 4 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)