Orb of the Void (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 8
- School: Necromancy
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A round black stone, polished to a shine, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: 5-ft.-diameter sphere
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You make broad, circular gestures, shimmering streamers of darkness flowing from your hands as you swirl into existence a gleaming black orb, five feet in diameter.
- Once called into existence, in an open square adjacent to your space, you may expend a move action to command the orb of devouring darkness to move in whichever direction you point and drain all creatures it moves adjacent to, or who move adjacent to it, once per round per creature. (It does not harm the caster upon creation, although it is wise to move it quickly away.) It can also be commanded to absorb energy (requiring a standard action) in a wave of leeching darkness, affecting all creatures within twenty feet of its space (a 9 x 9 square space, centered on the sphere). When commanded to absorb energy in this way, it inflicts (Circle 8 damage): 1d6+3 points of damage per character level (max 21d6+63 at character level 21) of necrotic (energy, uncommon) damage, with a saving throw as above for half damage. Absorption in this fashion does not end the spell.
- It moves 90 feet per Move action the caster expends, using either Hover or Greater Flight as its movement type, in any combination desired. If it enters a space adjacent to a creature, it deals 6d6 points of necrotic (energy, uncommon) damage and inflicts three points of Essence Destruction to that creature, though a successful save as defined above halves the damage and negates the Destruction.
- If not directed to move, the sphere stays at rest and damages and destroys any creatures who moves adjacent to it, once per round per creature.
- It occupies a space as a creature does, and can be moved around by Combat maneuver checks, and its space can be entered (at the cost of being damaged and risking Essence Destruction) through normal means such as Overruns or Clamber. It is not a creature or an ally, does not flank or make attacks of opportunity, and cannot be targeted for buff or debuff effects. The surface of the sphere is made of pure dark energy, which hurts but yields.
- The Orb of the Void is considered an attended object and cannot be harmed by hit point damage. It can be Sundered to destroy it, having a Durability of one. The difficulty of a Sunder check against the Sphere is the Maneuver Defense of the Caster. It cannot push aside unwilling creatures, batter down large obstacles, or inflict any Siege Damage. An Orb of the Void winks out of existence if it exceeds the spell's range.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.