Parliament of Selves (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Illusion (figment)
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (One small mirror, broken, worth 1gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: Up to one target creature, plus one per 10 character levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30), only affects allied creatures, all affected allies must be within 30 feet of each other
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: Harmless (Will negates)
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Casting this spell causes your voice to echo and reverberate, as your words are doubled, then trebled, until your recitation is like a celestial chorus. Upon completion, choose allied creatures as detailed above within range. This spell creates an illusory double of each of them. This double obeys the will of each of your allies, and can perform two valuable functions.
- The double may be commanded (as a swift action) to occupy the square of its creature, which makes it difficult for enemies to precisely locate and attack them, exactly as if each of them is under the effect of a Mirror Image (Spell).
- When Parliament of Selves is cast, 1 illusory image is created for each ally. If not otherwise commanded, the image remains in their space and moves with them, mimicking their movements, sounds, and actions exactly. Whenever they are attacked or are the target of a spell that requires an attack roll, there is a possibility that the attack targets their image instead. If any attack is a hit, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. If it is a figment, the figment is destroyed and your ally is not harmed unless the attack has some area of effect component, which may affect them. Area spells affect creatures normally and do not destroy any of the figments. Spells and effects that do not require an attack roll (e.g. Magic Missile (Spell)) affect your allies normally and do not destroy any of the figments. Spells that require a Touch Attack are harmlessly discharged if used to destroy a figment, unless they include some area of effect component, which may affect your allies.
- An attacker must be able to see the figments to be fooled. If one of your allies are invisible or the attacker is blind, the spell has no effect (although the normal miss chances still apply). The figments cannot be deliberately targeted, and thus cannot be harmed by effects such as the Cleave, Great (Feat).
- Unlike a Mirror Image, however, the figments can also be used to distract and bedevil an enemy. If any ally spends a swift action, they may send the figment to set up a flank with any one enemy creature. Whenever possible, the figment moves so that it may be the allied creature, and thus, it may provoke attacks of opportunity. If creatures make attacks of opportunity at figments, those attacks are wasted. Even worse, the ally may move out of their square after spending a swift action to command the figment to remain behind. In such a way, enemies can never know what square your allies are actually in, unless they make attacks of opportunity every time they move. Each figment may only grant the flanking bonus to its specific ally. Note that multiple figments can enter the same square, and the figments do not hinder movement for friend or foe in any way. While sent forth this way, the figments cannot be destroyed by attacks, although they can be Dispelled or Disjoined, and they do not function in an Antimagic Field.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.