Pilfering Hand of the Magus (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
- School: Evocation
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A fingerless glove, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: One object or creature, see below
- Duration: see text
- Saving Throw: none
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You create and control an invisible telekinetic force, manipulating it with either startling abruptness or careful deliberateness, allowing you to seize an object from an opponent or remotely manipulate an object. You can utilize this force several ways. This force takes the form of a ghostly hand, which forms in your space as you intone the power-laden syllables of this working. Once the invisible hand is formed, it cannot be seen by normal vision but can be detected by all senses that are not affected by Invisibility (Spell). As a move action, you can direct the Hand to move up to 50 feet in any direction, as long as it remains within the range of the spell. This spell lasts until the end of the current combat, the end of the next combat, until you begin a full rest, or it may be expended early to perform various actions described below (whichever of these occurs first).
- While the spell lasts, it may serve in all ways as a Hand of the Magus (Spell). Since the hand is invisible, this can be used for all sorts of mischief, so have fun!
- Abrupt Maneuver: Upon casting this spell, you may instantaneously attempt a Disarm or Steal combat maneuver against a single target within range, without having to spend a move action to place the hand in the target's space. Make a Caster Check roll against the target's Maneuver Defense This combat maneuver attempt does not provoke an attack of opportunity from its target (but casting this spell might). If you are successful, you pull the target object to you, and if you have enough hands free, you can catch it. Otherwise, the object lands in your square as if you dropped it. Once the maneuver is complete (whether it succeeds or fails), the Hand is dispelled.
- Careful Maneuver: Upon casting this spell, you may instantaneously attempt a Disable Device check against a trap or other mechanism, or a Sleight of Hand check to pickpocket a target within range, without having to spend a move action to place the hand in the target's space. This spell lasts as long as you need to accomplish the task, requiring your full concentration for that duration. Once you resolve the skill check, the spell ends. If you are successful on your Sleight of Hand check, you pull the target object to you as with an abrupt maneuver. The target gains a +2 bonus on its Perception check to notice the successful attempt originated from you (oops). Once the skill check is complete, the Hand is dispelled.
- Aggressive Maneuver: If you use Pilfering Hand of the Magus to pick up a suitable object (a rock, a sturdy stick, a dagger, etc) while using a move action, you may make a ranged touch attack as a standard action against a creature. If you successfully hit, you inflict (Circle 2 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 6d6 at character level 6) with a damage type appropriate to the object you are attacking with (rocks do bludgeoning (physical), a knife or sharp rock will do slashing (physical), a vial of acid will do acid (element energy) damage, an alchemical fire flask does fire (element energy) damage, etc.) Once you make such an attack successfully, the Hand is dispelled.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.