Pillar of Fire (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A piece of phosphor, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: One pillar five feet wide and ten feet tall per ten caster levels, 2 at 11th, 3 at 21st, and 4 at 31st.
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You growl fuming words in a rough voice, your hands weaving complicated patterns as a bit of phosphor glows, then burns, in your grasp.
- At the culmination of the casting, you make a powerful gesture as though raising a heavy weight, and one of more pillars of violet-tinged golden flames roar to life.
- This spell brings into existence a number of Pillars as defined above. Each Pillar must originate from a square on a horizontal surface to which you have line of sight, although solid or liquid does not matter. Each pillar must be vertical. No two pillars can be adjacent to each other: There must be at least five feet (one square) between each Pillar, although that space can be Blocked, Occupied, Impeded, etc.
- If you evoke the pillars so that one or more appear in the space of any creature, that creature suffers (Circle 3 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 10d6 at character level 10) of fire (energy, common), with a saving throw as defined above for half damage. A given creature can be affected by this initial effect only once, no matter how large it is. The pillars do not block or occupy a square, and can be moved through freely, but each time a creature moves through a pillar it suffers the above damage again, and may save for half. This effect CAN affect the same creature multiple times, if it moves though multiple Pillars. Furthermore, once each round, any creature that moves adjacent to a Pillar after they are emplaced gains the Singed condition, without benefit of a save. This Singed condition cannot be removed as long as the Pillars are present.
- At the time of casting the caster decides if the pillars are square (creatures cannot cut the corners to go around it), or rounded (allowing creatures to cut the corners when trying to move around it). Once placed, each Pillar is immobile and fixed in place for the duration of the spell.
- If cast multiple times, several castings can be 'joined together' to create more and more pillars, with the caveat that at least five feet must separate all pillars at all times. Attempting to place a pillar adjacent to another pillar causes the entire spell to fail, even if the pillars were built up over several castings.
- Each Pillar of Fire provides Cover to creatures on the opposite side of it.
- Pillars can be circumvented by some movement types, such as Flight, Vaulting, or Burrow.
- Each Pillar is immune to Hit Point damage but can be destroyed by Sunders. To Sunder a pillar, roll against the Maneuver Defense of the caster. Each Pillar has a Durability of 1, so a single successful Sunder dispels them. Other siege damage can be used to destroy them as well. If Dispel or Disjunction is used on them, each Pillar must be dispelled, with a separate casting of the Dispel or Disjunction.
- This spell can be used to disperse Obscuring spells. Gases, fogs, and vapors that intersect the squares occupied by this spell are dispersed in those squares.
- Obscuring spells include: Obscuring (Acid Fog (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud (Druid Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud, Greater (Druid Spell), Aggressive Thundercloud, Greater (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Barrow Haze (Cleric Spell), Barrow Haze (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Cloudkill (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Euphoric Cloud (Druid Spell), Euphoric Cloud (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Fog Cloud (Alchemist Extract), Fog Cloud (Druid Spell), Fog Cloud (Ranger Poultice), Fog Cloud (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Incendiary Cloud (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Mind Fog (Bard Spell), Mind Fog (Paladin Spell), Mind Fog (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Nauseating Trail (Alchemist Extract), Nauseating Trail (Druid Spell), Nauseating Trail (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Plague Storm (Cleric Spell), Plague Storm (Druid Spell), Plague Storm (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Solid Fog (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Stinking Cloud (Alchemist Extract), Stinking Cloud (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell), Twilight Haze (Paladin Spell), Twilight Haze (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)), and any other effects the GM rules as being affected.
- This spell lays an arcane charge on its target(s). If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have an arcane charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge can ever be present on a target at a time.
- This charge can support multiple castings of the same spell, the charges merging into one another.
Circle Damage for Spells
|Spell Circle||Burn Cost||Req'd Char Level||Base Dice||Max Dice|
|0||N/A||N/A||1d4 per 2 character levels||max of 4d4 at character level 8|
|1||N/A||1st||1d6 per character level||max of 4d6 at character level 4|
|2||+1||3rd||1d6 per character level||max of 6d6 at character level 6|
|3||+1||5th||1d6 per character level||max of 10d6 at character level 10|
|4||+1||7th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 12d6+12 at character level 12|
|5||+1||9th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 15d6+15 at character level 15|
|6||+1||11th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 16d6+32 at character level 16|
|7||+1||13th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 20d6+40 at character level 20|
|8||+1||15th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 21d6+63 at character level 21|
|9||+1||17th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 25d6+75 at character level 25|
|10||+1||19th||1d6+4 per character level||max of 25d6+100 at character level 25|
|11||+1||21st||1d6+5 per character level||max of 25d6+125 at character level 25|
|12||+1||23rd||1d6+6 per character level||max of 27d6+162 at character level 27|
|13||+1||25th||1d6+7 per character level||max of 27d6+189 at character level 27|
|14||+1||27th||1d6+8 per character level||max of 29d6+232 at character level 29|
|15||+1||29th||1d6+9 per character level||max of 29d6+261 at character level 29|
|16||+1||31st||1d6+10 per character level||max of 30d6+300 at character level 30|
|17||+1||33rd||1d6+11 per character level||max of 30d6+330 at character level 30|
|18||+1||35th||1d6+12 per character level||max of 30d6+360 at character level 30|