Pillar of Lava (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A chunk of dried lava, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: One pillar five feet wide and ten feet tall per ten caster levels, 2 at 11th, 3 at 21st, and 4 at 31st.
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You beseech and cajole the world, asking it to send a flow of lava. As the spell reaches its peak, the earth honors your request!
- At the culmination of the casting, you make a powerful gesture as though raising a heavy weight, and one of more pillars of white-hot Lava ooze into place.
- This spell brings into existence a number of Pillars as defined above. Each Pillar must originate from a square on a horizontal solid surface to which you have line of sight. Each pillar must be vertical. No two pillars can be adjacent to each other: There must be at least five feet (one square) between each Pillar, although that space can be Blocked, Occupied, Impeded, etc.
- If you evoke the pillars so that one or more appear in the space of any creature, that creature suffers (Circle 7 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 20d6+40 at character level 20) of darkfire (energy, rare), and enough Push to move them out of the square. If they fall Prone to avoid the Push, they become Prone, lying on the square atop the Pillar. If the Pillar does not have enough space to rise to its full height, it conforms to the space available.
- Damaged creatures are allowed a saving throw as defined above for half damage. A given creature can be affected by this initial effect only once, no matter how large it is. The pillars fill the squares they appear in, but are semi-fluid, and can be moved through with great effort. The squares are Impeded Terrain, and moving into a Lava square causes the darkfire damage listed above, per square moved into.
- Furthermore, once each round, the caster can choose a Pillar and erupt it as a standard action. This eruption dispels that Pillar and causes (Circle 6 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 16d6+32 at character level 16) of fire (energy, common) to all creatures in a 5x5 space adjacent to the Pillar, chosen by the caster.
- At the time of casting the caster decides if the pillars are square (creatures cannot cut the corners to go around it), or rounded (allowing creatures to cut the corners when trying to move around it). Once placed, each Pillar is immobile and fixed in place for the duration of the spell.
- If cast multiple times, several castings can be 'joined together' to create more and more pillars, with the caveat that at least five feet must separate all pillars at all times. Attempting to place a pillar adjacent to another pillar causes the entire spell to fail, even if the pillars were built up over several castings.
- Each Pillar of Lava blocks line of sight (but not line of effect) to creatures on the opposite sides of it, as though it were a blocked space, and can provide Partial Cover or Total Cover, depending on the location of creatures around it.
- Pillars can be circumvented by some movement types, such as Flight, Vaulting, or Burrow.
- Each Pillar is immune to Hit Point damage but can be destroyed by Sunders. To Sunder a pillar, roll against the Maneuver Defense of the caster. Each Pillar has a Durability equal to 1. Other siege damage can be used to destroy them as well. If Dispel or Disjunction is used on them, each Pillar must be dispelled, with a separate casting of the Dispel or Disjunction.
- This spell lays an arcane charge on its target(s). If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have an arcane charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge can ever be present on a target at a time.
- This charge can support multiple castings of the same spell, the charges merging into one another.
Mana Burn Circle Damage
|Spell Circle||Burn Cost||Req'd Char Level||Base Dice||Max Dice|
|0||N/A||N/A||1d4 per 2 character levels||max of 4d4 at character level 8|
|1||N/A||1st||1d6 per character level||max of 4d6 at character level 4|
|2||+1||3rd||1d6 per character level||max of 6d6 at character level 6|
|3||+1||5th||1d6 per character level||max of 10d6 at character level 10|
|4||+1||7th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 12d6+12 at character level 12|
|5||+1||9th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 15d6+15 at character level 15|
|6||+1||11th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 16d6+32 at character level 16|
|7||+1||13th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 20d6+40 at character level 20|
|8||+1||15th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 21d6+63 at character level 21|
|9||+1||17th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 25d6+75 at character level 25|
|10||+1||19th||1d6+4 per character level||max of 25d6+100 at character level 25|
|11||+1||21st||1d6+5 per character level||max of 25d6+125 at character level 25|
|12||+1||23rd||1d6+6 per character level||max of 27d6+162 at character level 27|
|13||+1||25th||1d6+7 per character level||max of 27d6+189 at character level 27|
|14||+1||27th||1d6+8 per character level||max of 29d6+232 at character level 29|
|15||+1||29th||1d6+9 per character level||max of 29d6+261 at character level 29|
|16||+1||31st||1d6+10 per character level||max of 30d6+300 at character level 30|
|17||+1||33rd||1d6+11 per character level||max of 30d6+330 at character level 30|
|18||+1||35th||1d6+12 per character level||max of 30d6+360 at character level 30|