Prismatic Sphere (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: : V, S, M (A small empty sphere made of insect wings, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: 10 ft.
- Target or Area: 10-ft.-radius sphere centered on you (5x5 squares centered on your square, surrounded and covered over by Sphere)
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: see text
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell functions like Prismatic Wall, except you conjure up an immobile, opaque globe of shimmering, multicolored light that surrounds you and protects you from all forms of attack. The sphere flashes in all colors of the visible spectrum. Like a Prismatic Wall, a Prismatic Sphere provides Total Cover, but it does so in all directions around your space.
- Neither you nor any other creature can pass through the Sphere. You may have other creatures 'inside' the Sphere with you, either ally or enemy. When you're inside it, however, the sphere blocks any attempt to project something through the Sphere (including spells), by providing Total Cover. Other creatures that attempt to attack you or pass through suffer the effects of each color, one at a time. A Prismatic Sphere can be destroyed by the same means as a Prismatic Wall, namely:
- The Sphere can be destroyed, color by color, in consecutive order, by performing the specified actions on the Sphere; however, the first color must be brought down before the second can be affected, and so on. Using an attack or an ability on the Sphere does not cause the attacker harm. A Rod of Cancellation or a Mage's Disjunction destroys a Prismatic Sphere instantly in its entirety, but an Antimagic Field fails to penetrate it. Dispel Magic and GreaterDispel Magic can only be used on the Sphere one color at a time, and one casting can destroy only each color once all the other colors 'in front' have been destroyed.
- Spell Resistance is effective against a Prismatic Sphere, but the Caster Check must be repeated for each color present. IE, up to seven Spell Resistance checks must be made to pass through an intact Sphere.
- Typically, only the upper hemisphere of the globe exists, since you are at the center of the Sphere, so the lower half is usually occluded by the floor surface you are standing on.
- The colors of the sphere have the same effects as the colors of a Prismatic Wall. See the table below for details:
Order Color Effect of Color Negated by 1st Red (Circle 6 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 16d6+32 at character level 16) of fire (energy, common) damage, reflex save against DC above for half Monster weapon attacks or player piercing weapons 2nd Orange (Circle 6 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 16d6+32 at character level 16) of acid (energy, common) damage, fortitude save against DC above for half Monster 'claw' (secondary) attacks or player slashing weapons 3rd Yellow (Circle 6 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 16d6+32 at character level 16) of psychic (energy, uncommon) damage, will save against DC above for half Monster 'bite' (primary) attacks or player bludgeoning weapons 4th Green (Circle 6 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 16d6+32 at character level 16) of freezacid (energy, rare) damage, reflex save against DC above for half Extraordinary damage from monster or player 5th Blue Petrified, fortitude save against DC above negates the effect Supernatural damage from monster or player 6th Indigo Confused, willpower save against DC above negates the effect Spell-like damage from monster or player 7th Violet Exiled, reflex save against DC above negates the effect AOE attack damage from monster or player