Rainbow Pattern (Spell)
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small piece of phosphor, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: one target creature, plus one per 10 caster levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30), within a 20 foot spread (9x9 area, line of sight required to the center space)
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Will partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + 1/2 caster level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You cast this spell soothingly, the gentle words calming and kind, your hands coated with glowing phosphor flowing gracefully through the required motions for the magic to work. You create a glowing, rainbow-hued pattern of interweaving colors in a target square you choose that you can see. (Line of sight but not line of effect is required.) Rainbow Pattern fascinates a maximum number of creatures the caster chooses as defined above.
- With a simple gesture, affected creatures you choose find their worldview caught up by the colored lights. Their impulses try to follow the paths of the lights, to make sense of what they are seeing, but attempting such a thing is inimical to continued existence. The lights are impossible, not real, and looking at them is destructive in the extreme. Even mindless creatures find their reflexes and impulses caught up in the luring, amazing dance of the lights, and they grind to a halt, their eyes riveted, a glow emanating from within as they try desperately to see just a little better....
- All targeted creatures suffer (Circle 4 damage): 1d6+1 points of damage per character level (max 12d6+12 at character level 12) of light (energy, uncommon) damage, as well as suffering the fascinated condition until their next action, as the lights infest their sensorium and burn brilliant trails through their bodies. Creatures that make their saving throw realize that the impossibly lovely lights and patterns cannot possibly be real, and suffer only half damage as fictive (energy, uncommon) damage as the illusory magic tears at them as it dissipates. Creatures that make their save are not fascinated.
- The spell does not affect sightless creatures.