Raise Dead (Cleric Spell)
- Level: Cleric 5
- School: Conjuration
- Casting Time: Ritual (Typically, 1 minute of quiet contemplation.)
- Components: V, S, M, DF (A diamond, whole, worth 5,000 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature, a dead creature touched
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than 1 day per caster level. In addition, the subject's soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject's soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.
- Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The subject of the spell gains two points of Essence Destruction when it is raised, just as if it had been hit by an energy-damaging creature. A character who died with spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised. A spellcasting creature that doesn't prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell.
- A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current HD. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. Normal poison (Tainted, Poisoned, Blighted), and normal disease (Infected, Diseased, Plagued) are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. While the spell closes mortal wounds and repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole. Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life, which may impose the Crippled or Maimed conditions upon the revived subject, at the GM's discretion. None of the dead creature's equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.
- A creature who has been turned into an Undead creature can't be raised by this spell. Construct, Elemental, and Outsider creatures can't be raised. The spell cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age.