The three kingdoms of Fontaigne, Ottovar, and Alden are sending their greatest champions to the Silath Tyr, an uncivilized region along the coast of the Northern Sea. They have come to claim the treasures within the ruins of an empyrean vault, a massive sky city of a race of exiled gods.
The empyrean vault's core was sundered by some powerful force centuries ago, shattering it into a million pieces. But fragments of the shattered city were recently discovered, hovering over the waters north of the Skaellig Spear current, their powerful magicks unfaltering.
Each of the three kingdoms hopes to be the first to lay claim to the relics and artifacts that must surely be hidden in the ruins, and the first nation to do so may just become a new race of gods, themselves.
Welcome to Red Sails, a campaign setting of high-seas swashbuckling, uncharted mysteries, and derring-do.
- Character creation uses the standard 28-point point-buy system.
- All characters get 1 bonus skill point per level, and are strongly encouraged to pick up Piloting (Sailor), as it will be heavily utilized.
- Four new languages exist:
- Alden, Fontaigne, Itlaxi, and Ottovar
- Characters begin with 'native' fluency of one of the above, depending on their chosen nationality.
- The 'common' language still exists, but is not known to character by default. It is available to all races as a bonus language for high intelligence. As always, bonus languages are learned at 'fluent' fluency.
The New Way:
- The New Way is a form of etiquette used in the big cities and in some public meetings of noblemen, which eschews nationalistic tells — accents, mannerisms, euphemisms, fashion choices and colors, etc. — that would identify the individual's actual country of origin. It is extremely useful for conducting (legitimate) business in the larger cities that are controlled by nations other than your birth nation.
- To emulate the New Way, players make a Diplomacy check. However, if the character has ranks or integral bonuses to any of the following skills, equal to their character level, they gain a +1 familiarity bonus to the Diplomacy check for each qualifying skill: Linguistics, Perform (Oratory), Knowledge (Local), Disguise.
- Most circles are fairly forgiving of praticioners of the New Way if they slip up, but typically revealing your true nationality is at least fodder for gossip, or in some cases can lead to rather dire circumstances (such as being arrested as a spy — after the party, of course).
- Bhixl Lacroix (Ben)- Vanx Bard - male - lawful neutral
- Demtovig (Jeff) - Fighter Gnome - male - lawful neutral
- Votary (Jen) - Changeling Partisan - female - Chaotic Ernest Good
- Saffiya Haumaru (Robin) - Arborean Cleric - female - (true neutral or lawful neutral)
- Rivulet Gurlach (Todd) - male - Undine of Low Character - LN
- Freya Stormborn (Rick) - female - Arborian Barbarian (Primal) - CN
- Map: The Silath Tyr Region
- Geography of the Region
- Nations of the Region
- Local Factions
- Gods and Religions