Resist Energy (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
- School: Abjuration
- Elemental School: air 2, earth 2, fire 2, water 2
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small dab of specially prepared unguent, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell grants one creature (which may be the caster) limited protection from damage of one Common (Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Sonic) Energy Type chosen by the caster at the time of casting.
- The subject gains ER equal to the spell level plus the caster's caster level against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced before being applied to the creature's hit points. If this spell is cast using a higher level spell slot, the increase in spell level increases the protection granted, if metamagic feats or other effects also raise the spell's actual level. The spell protects the recipient's equipment as well, although it is not effective against siege damage, even if it is elemental in nature.
- Resist Energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects, and is vulnerable to environmental hazards.
- Resist Energy lays a charge on recipients, but that charge specifically overlaps (and stacks with) Protection from Energy (Spell). If a character is warded by Protection from Energy and Resist Energy, both spells share the same charge and the Protection from Energy spell absorbs damage before Resist Energy is even affected, until the power of Protection from Energy is exhausted.
- This spell lays an arcane or divine charge on its target(s), depending on the caster who is casting the spell. If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane or divine charge on you, the caster. Divine casters lay a divine charge, and arcane casters lay an arcane charge. Targets which already have an arcane or divine charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge and one divine charge can ever be present on a target at a time.