Resist Rare Energy (Ranger Poultice)
- Level: Ranger 3
- School: Abjuration
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small dab of specially prepared unguent, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This poultice is made of protective and strengthening herbs and botanicals, and then activated by a specially prepared unguent made of various more exotic ingredients. When activated by the holder and plastered upon a creature, this poultice grants one creature (which may be the holder) limited protection from damage of one Rare (Darkfire, Eldritch, Freezacid, Holy, Quiescent, Soul, Stellar, Sunlight, Tenebrous, Threnodic, Thundercrash, Void) Energy Type chosen by the herbalist Ranger at the time of brewing.
- The subject gains ER, equal to the herbalist Ranger's character level and their Wisdom stat modifier, against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced before being applied to the creature's hit points. The poultice protects the recipient's equipment as well, although it is not effective against siege damage, even if it is elemental in nature.
- Resist Rare Energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects, and is vulnerable to environmental hazards.
- This spell lays an arcane charge on its target(s). If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have an arcane charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge can ever be present on a target at a time.