Resist Rare Energy (Ranger Poultice)
- Level: Ranger 3
- School: Abjuration
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small dab of specially prepared unguent, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter, the end of the next encounter, or until the start of a full night's rest, whichever is sooner
- Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell grants one creature (which may be the caster) limited protection from damage of one Rare (Darkfire, Eldritch, Freezacid, Holy, Quiescent, Soul, Stellar, Sunlight, Tenebrous, Threnodic, Thundercrash, Void) Energy Type chosen by the caster at the time of casting.
- The subject gains ER equal to the spell level plus the caster's caster level against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced before being applied to the creature's hit points. If this spell is cast using a higher level spell slot, the increase in spell level increases the protection granted, if metamagic feats or other effects also raise the spell's actual level. The spell protects the recipient's equipment as well, although it is not effective against siege damage, even if it is elemental in nature.
- Resist Rare Energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects, and is vulnerable to environmental hazards.
- This spell lays an arcane charge on its target(s). If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have an arcane charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge can ever be present on a target at a time.