- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Illusion
- Domain: darkness 9
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A small mirror, half-silvered so it only partially reflects, worth 1gp.)
- Range: Touch
- Target or Area: one target creature, plus one per 10 character levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30)
- Duration: Until the end of your next full night's rest
- Saving Throw: Harmless (Will negates)
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This spell functions like Shadow Walk (Spell), in that it must be cast in an area of dim light, and allows the recipient and those touched to travel through the Plane of Shadows. Note that once cast, you and all touched creatures appear vague and shadowy, although perfectly recognizable, and once cast, neither the caster nor any recipients have to stay in dim light to maintain the benefits of this powerful magic.
- Shades is a far more potent spell for more reasons than merely that, however. If used for long-distance travel in the same Material Plane as you began from, you may move up to 50 miles per hour of travel and you arrive at your destination with great precision, typically within one Run action at your best movement speed. There is no miss chance roll: This travel is as safe as anything concerning the Plane of Shadow can be. Note that the tremendous speed and blurring of this travel renders this spell useless for spying and scouting, for much the same reason as Shadow Walk: You're just moving too fast to see much.
- Traveling 'across' the Plane of Shadow to other planes adjacent to the Plane of Shadow is exactly the same with this spell as Shadow Walk, except such trips take 1d2 hours rather than 1d4 hours.
- Even more usefully, for the duration of this spell you and all those touched may step into the adjacent Material Plane (assuming you're near one) and gain a Teleport move of 50 feet. During combat, you may 'step into' and 'step out' of the Shadow World and reappear wherever you wish with your teleport move range. This teleport move may be used with single moves and double moves, the Run action, and the Withdraw action if desired. You may not 'pick up' items in the middle of this travel, although you can certainly move into the space of an unattended item and end your Move there, pick up the item as part of that Move, and then use another action (a Standard or action point action) to leave that square carrying the item.
- This spell lays a dual charge on its target(s). If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell instead lays a dual charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have a dual charge, a divine charge, or an arcane charge, may choose only one of these effects to keep. Dual charges are treated as both an arcane and a divine charge, and a creature may only ever have a single arcane charge and divine charge present on them at a time.