Shadow Barbs (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
- School: Illusion (shadow)
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A single link from a spiked chain, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Self
- Target or Area: all creatures in target area (friend or foe), a 7x7 cone, adjacent to the caster's space.
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Will partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- You whisper the phrases of this spell as if casting the words into a dark, shadowed abyss, never expecting anyone to hear. But from the very stuff of Shadows, you receive an answer.
- When you cast this spell, you create a brief portal into the shadow realm, and there, you find the eager urges to destruction and chaos that forever reign in that dim place. These inchoate urges cannot hold themselves together well enough to harm any real thing...but you can give them the illusion of form, at least briefly. And then they can harm many things very badly indeed.
- You tear open the portal, a dusky ragged window into utter night, next to you. As the stuff of Shadow brims forth, you shape it with illusory form into a vast outburst of razor-edged hooks, thorny vines, tentacles studded with razor-sharp scutes and the very air filled with a swarm of tiny razors, that burst forth to fill a 35 foot cone (a 7x7 square space) adjacent to your own space. All creatures, friend or foe, caught in this cone wholly or partially suffers (Circle 4 damage): 1d6+1 points of damage per character level (max 12d6+12 at character level 12) of ripping (physical, uncommon) damage and are dazzled by shadows in their eyes. If affected creatures make their saving throw as described above, they realize the bards and thorns and hooks tearing at their flesh are not real. Instead of taking ripping damage, they take fictive (energy, uncommon) damage, only half, as the illusory magic teases at their sense of reality. Making the saving throw, alas, does not save them from the Dazzled condition, as the shadow stuff floods their forms regardless.