Shrieker (CR 1)
Neutral - Small - Plant
- Shriekers are nasty fungi who have taken the whole 'live on decaying matter' to the logical extreme, by killing everything that moves anywhere close to them.
- As plants they obviously have no mind at all, but intelligent monsters will often cultivate shriekers as 'living burglar alarms'. This strategy works well, as long as you are always careful to stay well away from their planter once it's established.
- Init: +3
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 14
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 13
- Hit Points: 17 (Bloodied Value: 8) Hit Dice: 2
- Fort: +4 Refl: +-1 Will: +1
- Special Defenses:
- Strong Against:
- (Mindless) Immune (no effect): all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, fear, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms)
- (Plant 1) Immune (no effect): poisons (tainted, poisoned, blighted), magical sleep (drowsy, sluggish, asleep), paralyzed, stunned, polymorph
- (Plant 2) Immune (no effect): Forced movement (including Drag, Reposition), Prone (quelled, prone, splayed)
- Immune (no damage): sonic (energy, common)
- Weak Against:
- Movement Types: Immobile
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Spore Puff +10 vs. AC (always hits on a 17+ on the die) (1d6/x2) as abrasion (physical, uncommon)
- Full Attack:
- 2x Spore Puff +10 vs. AC (always hits on a 17+ on the die) (1d6/x2) as abrasion (physical, uncommon)
- Standard Ranged:
- Maneuver Offense: +1
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Special Attacks: Shriek
- Str: 9 Dex: 10 Con: 13 Int: – Wis: 10 Cha: 12
- Perception +3
- All other skills: +0 (no ranks)
Shriek (Su, Aura)
- Any light sources or movement that occurs within ten feet of a shrieker will cause it to emit an incredibly loud shrieking howl of sound, affecting all creatures in a 30-foot radius around itself. The source of the sound is easy to find as the shrieker pulses and sways, and the escaping gas is tinged putrid yellow-green with spores. The shrieker will continue to emit this sound until everything is dead, the combat ends, or it is killed. To initiate or maintain the Shriek aura is a swift action that the Shrieker will use every round, once triggered.
- The Shriek inflicts 1d3 of sonic (energy, common) damage to everything in the aura when the Shrieker uses its swift action. Note that all Shriekers are immune to sonic damage (since they are deaf).
- Shriek requires line of effect (but not line of sight) for the sonic damage to be inflicted.
- Shriekers are mindless, so they always behave the same way. Their 60 feet of blindsense makes them very difficult to surprise, but they will only begin to make sound when creatures get within ten feet. If a creature moves adjacent to a shrieker, it will attack that creature with the jets of spores being emitted as part of the Shriek aura. This attack uses a standard action as any normal attack does. Shrieker spores are not poisonous, they're just sharp and gritty and annoying, like being attacked by a sandblaster.
Out of Combat
- Shriekers are often cultivated as a kind of organic alarm system by even higher CR creatures, alerting them to the presence of anything moving or carrying a light in their vicinity. Obviously, this can only be accomplished in areas underground, or otherwise completely sheltered from all natural light.
- Such a setup has its drawbacks, of course. Every rat or other small animal that happens by will set them off, which can lead to quite a few sleepless nights for the overly-clever trapper who uses them.
- XP: 400
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 219 gp.
- Weight: 10 lbs. Volume: 0.4 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)