Skeleton Legionnaire (CR 3)
Pure Evil - Medium - Undead
- A Skeleton Legionnaire is a deathly shadow of the heroic legions of warriors who march in the sunlight. They are found by old battlefields, along ancient grave sights, in the moldering hulks of long-sunken troop transports, anywhere there was martial death in numbers.
- Skeleton Legionnaires are even more durable than plain skeletons, the clattering remains of armor serving to protect them in the battle they excelled at in life. Although as mindless as any skeleton, Legionnaires have a ghastly remnant of their martial skill, and will fight with startling ability and skill.
- Init: +6
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 19
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 18
- Hit Points: 37 (Bloodied Value: 18) Hit Dice: 4
- Fort: +2 Refl: +6 Will: +2
- Special Defenses:
- Strong Against:
- (Undead 1) Immune (no effect): diseases (infected, diseased, blighted), poisons (tainted, poisoned, blighted), ability damage (dilution, damage, drain), and essence damage (suppression, omission, destruction)
- (Undead 2) Immune (no effect): death effects, necromancy effects
- (Undead 3) Immune (no effect): bleeds (bruised, bleed, ruptured), fatigued, exhausted
- (Undead 4) Immune (no effect): magical sleep (drowsy, sluggish, asleep), paralyzed, stunned
- (Undead 5) Immune (no effect): any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless)
- Weak Against:
- (Undead 1) Cannot heal damage on its own (if it has no Int), but healed by negative energy.
- Movement Types: Walk 30 ft.
- Space / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Rusty Longsword +8 (1d8/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Full Attack:
- 3x Rusty Longsword +8 (1d8/19-20 x2) as slashing (physical, common)
- Standard Ranged:
- 1x Cracked Javelin +8 (1d8/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common) (Increment: 30 ft.; Max Range: 150 ft.)
- Full Ranged:
- 3x Cracked Javelin +8 (1d8/19-20 x2) as piercing (physical, common) (Increment: 30 ft.; Max Range: 150 ft.)
- Maneuver Offense: +7
- Siege Damage: Not siege capable
- Str: 18 Dex: 19 Con: — Int: 3 Wis: 3 Cha: 14
Improved Feint (Su)
- As a swift action, the skeleton legionnaire can use Bluff to feint in combat, causing its opponent to be flat-footed against the skeleton's next attack. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + the target's base attack bonus + the target's Wisdom modifier. If the target is trained in Sense Motive, the DC is instead equal to 10 + the target's Sense Motive bonus, if higher.
Step In and Strike (Su)
- Prior to making any attack, whether melee or ranged, a skeleton can take a free 5-foot step. This does not provoke attacks of opportunity, is not limited by having already moved, and does not cost them any actions.
Damage Resistance (Su)
- Skeletons are highly resistant to all common types of physical damage except bludgeoning (physical, common).
- Skeletal Legionnaires, although dead, moldering and mindless, are still skilled warriors that should be treated with caution.
- At range, they will take full attacks with their javelins and use five foot steps and their Step In and Strike ability to slowly close the range. Against foes in heavy armor, or against whom they miss with any attack, they will use their swift action to make a feint check (Bluff skill based) and then hurl javelins with lethal force. (+5 to-hit, 1d8+4/x2) Skeletal Legionnaires are in no hurry to close the range, but when their foes close against them, they will again make full attacks until they miss, then they will begin to use use swift actions to Feint and attack with unrelenting fury. Once in melee, they will use their five foot steps and their Step in and Strike abilities to set up flanks for themselves and avoid flanks from their foes, if possible.
- Like all undead, Skeletal Warriors will never retreat and will fight to destruction without hesitation.
Out of Combat
- Rusty Equipment (Ex)
- Skeletons wear equipment and wield weapons that are as old as they are. All their equipment has the Fragile property, though GM's shouldn't bother with tracking broken conditions on weapons.
- Many undead creatures, such as this one, cannot be killed by normal means. However, it will lie shattered and dormant after being defeated for up to a century before rising again to seek to rid the world of life. Casting either Sanctify Corpse (Cleric Spell) or Gentle Repose (Cleric Spell) on the defeated corpse of the creature will add an additional one hundred years to the time it takes for it to re-compose. Laying the defeated corpse on consecrated ground for a full day will prevent it from ever rising again, as will casting Rest Eternal (Cleric Spell) on it. Applying Raise Dead (Cleric Spell), Resurrection (Cleric Spell), or using similar life-giving abilities will restore the original soul back to the corpse, bringing that person back to life and permanently destroying the necromantic animus that had possessed the body previously. This creature's body will never decay (further than it already has) nor age due to time or neglect.
- XP: 800
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 813 gp.
- Weight: 30 lbs. Volume: 1.2 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)