Suffocation, Mass (Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Necromancy
- Subdomain: murder 9
- Elemental School: air 9
- Casting Time: Standard Action
- Components: V, S, M (A vial, decorated with symbols of death, containing a bit of the caster's breath, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./two lvls)
- Target or Area: one target creature, plus one per 10 caster levels (drop fractions; max 4 at level 30) within range, no two of which may be more than 30 feet apart.
- Duration: Instantaneous
- Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- The caster gasps out the strained phrases of this terrible spell, as if they are being strangled. This spell extracts the air from the targets bodies directly, causing swift suffocation. Targets must be living and require respiration for this spell to affect them, meaning that many Undead and most Constructs are unaffected. However, it is usually effective against creatures that breathe water, since breathing is breathing, after all. The GM adjudicates any unusual cases.
- Upon successfully completing this spell, the caster chooses a number of valid targets up to a maximum defined above, within 30 feet of one another, within range, to whom he has line of sight and line of effect. Those targets suffer (Circle 9 damage): 1d6+3 points of damage per character level (max 25d6+75 at character level 25) of winded (physical, uncommon) damage immediately, and are hindered until the end of the encounter as they struggle to regain their equilibrium. Each target is allowed a saving throw as described above. If they succeed on this save, the damage inflicted is halved, and the Hindered condition lasts only until the end of their next action.
- If this spell is cast again upon a creature that is already suffering a hindered condition that was inflicted by this spell, their saving throw against this spell suffers a -3 penalty as long as it is 'refreshed' while they are still suffering. It is impossible to defeat the effects of this spell by simply holding one's breath - if the victim is affected by the spell the air in their body is extracted.