On bestiary action types: To me, "Automatic" means it triggers on its own. The key word there is "triggers", and this is the distinction between "Automatic" and "Always On". If there is no trigger, it's "Always On". If it happens after something causes it to happen, it's "Automatic".
Patterns are Done!
The patterns should now be fully incorporated into the monster templates. If you find any errors, please let me know.
Rick wants these patterns:
- strip out all the roles from all monsters, and move their role-specific powers into the appropriate sections of the template.
- get Ben to update the MMM
Pattern Feat Updates:
- all summon feats that apply a pattern will be re-written to grant special abilities and flavor bits without altering base numbers (e.g. anything CR-based -- to-hit, damage, AC, hit points, etc.). They will not alter CR at all. They just add non-numeric (where possible) bonus effects.
- alter summon feats to allow up to 1 pattern to be applied to druid animal companion at a time. Patterns can only be applied or changed after a full night's rest.
Notes / To Do
- random loot generation
- random remnant generation (a built-in roller would be cool)
- We could also consider making 'civilized' versus 'uncivilized' treasure parcels for monsters (could be keyed off of the monster's INT stat, meaning no changes to existing monsters, just changes to the main template), which would affect whether some of the treasure was in coins, gems, trade goods, versus just 'sellable goods' (read: goopy bits).
- treasure idea: in addition to remnants, other currencies could drop (settlement currencies, magic item upgrades, eggs (for mounts), etc.), maps to other locations of interest, a way to spawn specific encounters. This would also be a good way to put single-use magic items into the game (which could be anything from a bottle of alchemist's fire to a scroll that calls a deific champion to help you for one round, or a genie that grants you a single wish).
- need to issue guidelines for adapting content from other systems? the heavy/legend roles might need to be emphasized for conversion tasks
- revisit the Vehicle Combat rules. Clean up, simplify, and remove language about multiple piloting skills, stat dependency on ship class, etc. Perhaps vehicles should perform like magic weapons (enhance bonus, properties, dweomermetal) that the pilot 'wields' to attack. This would allow the use of to-hit rolls, instead of maneuver checks for attacking. Try to make the system more like traditional combat... maybe figure out a way to remove facing.
- figure out a way to make the bailiwicks more distinct from their associated knowledge skills. In some cases, it's not bad (Spycraft vs Know:Local), but in many cases, it's ambiguous (Reason vs. Know:Logic; Naturalism vs. Know:Nature, etc.)
- consider cross-referencing all the between adventures into each of the appropriate skills.
- fix tables on Between Adventures page.
- clean up weapon page tables, adding categories for their weapon groups, handiness, and size.
- update monster template to account for adding a role to a monster with a modified # of attacks
- update monster template to include a 'min CR' and 'max CR' field, which allows us to specify where the monster shows up in MMM.
Feats With No Associated Class this category serves as a handy reference for old feats to be re-worked into potential magic items
Possible New Feats:
- crowd pleaser - the bard may target one additional target with their Bardic Performances. This feat may be taken more than once, each time increasing the number of affected targets by 1.
- introvert - 6th - add partisan level to healing
- solipsist - 16th - add partisan tier as dr/er
- surveillance - 26th - add introspection/introvert/solipsist to allies in aura
- caltrops - add partisan level in damage against any attacked foe in aura, once per attack, hit or miss
- come up with prefix names for each modified CR value (-2 CR to +5 CR) -- lesser, minor, common, greater, major, superior, elite, supreme (for example)
- review all existing monster names, and all proposed monster names, to make sure our prefixes don't lead to really dumb, unreadable names (lesser greater whompus, for example).
- strip all the roles out of every monster that has a role.
- recode any role-specific powers into new fields that are specific to roles-only powers. This will require me to create new fields for the template, but doesn't require a complete revamping of every monster.
- trap damage table?
- re-write perform skill to collapse it into a single skill (instead of subskills).
- Perform: performance complexity - clarify to setting the CR of the song
- same for entertaining an audience
- need a note in the ability scores page (and probably the caster pages) that you can't get spells of a higher level than your class level allows, even with a high stat.
- add new status conditions that inflict a circle penalty (or alter existing conditions to include it)
- create a "circle 0" and update the various mana burning rules for it.
- Update Between Adventures section on Spell Research to clarify language about adding metamagic to a researched spell -- metamagic added /can/ increase the gross spell level above 17, just not be added as research to produce an infinitely metamagicked spell.
- Character Sheet:
- PDF Character Sheet (Fillable) -- yes, this will happen
- create sample characters for each class, with planned builds up through level 5
- create at least 10 per CR. Still need CR's 19 through 40, but CR's 1 - 18 are done enough for now.
- Cosmology of Creation page should be tailored to suit our view of the campaign setting. If we try to keep it 'generic', it will feel hollow.
- decide how the many races factor into our default setting. Are all the races treated as normal citizens, or are some discriminated against (half-orcs, for example)? Are non-human races (in particular the oddball ones) sometimes born to human parents, or are they only products of their own purebred lineages?
- Finish moving the following into their respective templates:
- fighter tactics
- Equipment pages -- finish them, clean out the stupid stuff
- finish the Designing Skill Challenges section on the Game Master's Guide page.
- add some notes to the Spells page, regarding GM's adjudicating 'fluff' vs 'crunch'.
- Specific examples are direct damage (crunch) vs. illusions (fluff).
- Rules for bonuses from fluff which give general 'not to exceed' values.
- plus for caster level (+1 to +3), and plus for creativity (+1 to +2).
- need to update / create page for monster types and subtypes.
- need to review any broken links to subtypes that we don't actually want to define (e.g. azata)
- create a "tactical" keyword and category that would identify feats, abilities, skill uses, etc. that are very dependent on a map, and wouldn't work well in a 'theater of the mind' game.
- Settlements and Sieges
- Epic Skill System
- Followers / Leadership / Large-Scale War Rules
- Auramancy / Blood Magic
- Divine Domains (any character class; part of pre-apotheosis)
- True Dweomers
- Prestige Classes
- Traps (as enemy combatants)
- Need some cover art for a book(let)s. Open to suggestions...
- leaning towards a 5.5" x 8" book size as our 'starter guide' for cons, ~80 half-pages, for everything: how to play, character classes, equipment, weapons, low-level magic items, status conditions, basically everything you'd need to play up to level 5-ish. Interior will not have art, unless we really want to commission some.
- Needs to be everything you need to know to play the game (at low levels), without access the internet or the wiki.
- shouldn't have links or other web-based 'features', and it will need a table of contents and an index.
- Short appendix that describes some of the other features that are available in the complete game on the wiki.
- Found some online print sites that will do this for about $10/book, so 20 of these per convention would be about $200 which doesn't seem crazy to me.
- will give these out to anyone who plays through the module.
- pre-generated characters on no more than 4 pages each, printed on cardstock?
- Will give these out to anyone who played that class through the module.
- should be designed as a good party mix, rather than just 1 of each class; assume somewhere between 5 and 8 players.
- a module we can run in 4-ish hours that shows off the best parts of our game -- skills, character class uniqueness, dynamic and fun combats, including a 'threat' fight as the finale. Characters should probably be level 1, but I'm willing to consider up to level 3 if there's a good reason to go there.
- needs to have good opportunities to role-play, opportunities to use skills in an interesting way, and some fun set pieces for the combat encounters.
Siege Weapons / Settlements Notes
- review 'breaking objects' page, in light of changes to vehicle combat and removal of abstract encounters rules
- siege weapons - how do they work with the vehicle combat rules?
- unless we want siege weapons to continue to be cumulative forces, though it seems like people hated all the dice rolling of the abstract encounters
- right now, vehicles will never penetrate heavy defenses and fortifications; the target DC's are way too high, as are many of the durabilities
- add weights for all doors and such on the 'breaking objects' page, for purposes of the Might skill.
moving these links to here for future re-write/inclusions/expansion, possibly/probably as part of settlement pass
- Siege Weapons
- Siege Gunner (Feat)
- Siege Engineer (Feat)
- Master Siege Engineer (Feat)
- Siege Commander (Feat)
- Untyped Bonus
- Armor Bonus
- Armor Enhancement Bonus
- Circumstance Bonus
- Competence Bonus
- Dodge Bonus
- Enhancement Bonus
- Feat Bonus
- Martial Bonus
- Material Bonus
- Morale Bonus
- Natural Armor Bonus
- Racial Bonus
- Resistance Bonus
- Retraining Bonus
- Shield Bonus
- Shield Enhancement Bonus
- Size Bonus
- Training Bonus
- Weapon Bonus
- performance bonus (charge)
- arcane bonus (charge)
- divine bonus (charge)
- dual bonus (both arcane & divine charges)
Possible New Character Classes
- Physical Adept class (Fleshcrafter?) - arcane-powered melee, re-tool eidolon-style abilities as self-buffs?
Mentat WarsageStorm Knight class - intelligence-based melee and thrown weapons user.
- Toxotes - high damage ranged attacks, trick shots (possibly just create via new rogue talents?)
- Galvanist - sorceror/prowler/alchemist, focus on The Spark as a way to empower things (weaps/armor/potions) with sparks and essence
- Seeker - sorceror/ranger/prowler, has 'target/treasures' they are looking for, can have up to five, each treasure/target allows them to activate a diff power/class feature, they have to pick new ones as they find old ones or they lose powers
- Templar - arcane/urban fighter//paladin striker/tank, much stronger if has a place to defend or a crusade to advance
- Effigy (Artifact? Vestige?)
- the character is an actual artifact, which is intelligent. The actual artifact is /somewhere/, though even the player may not know where. They have extended their consciousness into a remote effigy (moppet?) with which they interact with the world. look at material for the warforged as inspiration?
- they can use their experience to augment their effigy, giving it better abilities
- like a summoner or pet class, except that the master isn't present on the battlefield
- inflicts and spreads bruise/bleeds/ruptures; can end all effects to deal that much damage to all enemies (even non-bleeding ones)
- horolog master of clockworks, makes ether-powered devices that do stuff (attacks, defenses, pets, buffs, move.mounts?) the martial-version of an alcnemist
- oracle divine-powered sorceror/paladin, has the ability to give blessings, lays curses, has no heal but can absorb damage from allies in a radius and lay on hands. sorceror/cleric/paladin hybrid with unique damage transfer power
Reminder links to complete additional classes at future date
Ideas For Class Features
- Death Attack (Ex) prowler, ranger, partisan, warlord? x times/day perform a magnum-size hit like monk?
- Swift Death (Ex) same classes as candidates, add more times per day
- Angel of Death (Ex) use up all death attacks to roll a coup de grace
- Live to Tell the Tale (Ex) barbarian, partisan, brawler? x times/day roll maneuver offense vs attackers maneuver defense to negate a hit
- Elaborate Attack (Ex) bard, paladin, rogue, fighter? spend a full BAB attack roll (or any 5-foot step?) to trigger a class feature (finale for bard, smite for pally, sneak for rogue, challenge for fighter?)
- Spell Critical (Su) sorc, wiz, druid? if confirms a critical with an attack, can cast a spell as a swift action. aimed at rays, but leave open-ended for dual/multi/prestiges
- Inspiring Demeanor (Ex) bard, cleric, fighter, paladin, warlord? roll maneuver offense against the maneuver defense of an ally to upgrade one action to the next higher action x/day
- Arcane Pool (Su) sorc, wiz, bard, ranger? 1/2 caster level plus Int mod /day, spend a point from the arcane pool to add +1 to-hit with implement (8th), or, character level to damage done by a spell to one enemy (23, 28, 33) or, +1 to save DC (13), or +1 to spell penetration (18). starts at 1 point/round max, scales to 2, 3, 4, 5. damage feature is multiplicative, 5 points adds 5x level to up to 5 targets (!)
- dismount abilities for mounts -- special attacks that can only be performed as a dismount action. Think something like a bull rush that immobilizes everyone you manage to push (after the push concludes).
- Steelborne (Ex) cleric, bard, brawler, prowler, warlord, rogue? Allows the class to count their levels as Fighter levels for qualifying for feats. Differentiate by level acquired (8th for warlord, brawler, prowler, 13th for cleric, 18th for bard?) and by how 'strong' the fighter qualification is (warlod fighter = -5, brawler = -3, bard = -15, etc.)
- Indestructible (Ex) cleric, paladin, warlord, fighter? Complete immunity from critical hits while wearing heavy armor (c28, w23, f18?) improves to immunity to precision damage as well five levels later?
- Deadly Defense (Ex) rogue, ranger, fighter, warlord, partisan? Whenever you ready an action to attack a foe outside your current melee reach, add +2 to the threat range of your attack and add your character level to the damage dealt as base damage (!!)
- Combat Advisor (Ex) bard, cleric, paladin, rogue, warlord? Whenever you miss with a melee attack, (and don't spend an action point) you may designate an ally within 30 feet that can see you to gain a +1 (morale? martial?) bonus on their next attack against that target. improves to next attack against any target, +2 against that target, +2 against any target, +1 to any target until end of the encounter. doesn't stack, of course.
- Throw Implement (su) sorc, wiz, bard? x times per day, converts any spell which deals damage with a circle into a single-target ray with a range of 60 feet, embodied as charging the currently wielded implement and throwing it.
- Path to Refuge (sp?) cler, dru, sorc, wiz? x times per week, manaburn 1 spell per hundred miles to return to your 'refuge'. manaburn same x spells per additional person to bring with you. cler 13, dru 18, sorc/wiz 23?
- Stored Life (su) barbarian, brawler, fighter, partisan, paladin? when affected by a status condition, sacrifice a class feature for the remainder of the day to ignore the condition until the end of the encounter. rage power, tactic, type of attack, lay on hands, feat, etc, are all eligible.
describe this as Essence Omission; seems to follow the same rules
- Killing Focus (Ex) barbarian, fighter, monk, ranger, rogue, pariah, prowler, brawler? spend a swift action to focus on an opponent. If you then use a full attack action to attack that foe, making the maximum number of attacks, gain +1 to-hit and +1 base weapon damage with all attacks. Note: once gained, persists until the foe dies or you focus on something else, stacks!
- Shadow Double (Su) bard, monk, pariah, prowler, rogue? x-times per day, move so sneakily you seem to be in two places at once. gain a flanking bonus with yourself, or, gain concealment, or, gain mirror image effect.
- High Strike (Ex) barbarian, brawler, fighter, monk, prowler? a scaling number of times per day, if you make an attack from higher ground, gain a bonus attack as a swift action (!) this can be triggered by using climb, making a jump, using native sloped terrain, or by having a hover, vault, or fly speed.
- Inveigle (Su) bard, cleric, pariah, sorcerer, warlord, wizard a scaling number of times per day, make a maneuver offense or caster check against a target within scaling distance. if you succeed, they no longer count as allied creatures to their former allies, and count as allies of you and your side instead. they provoke, cannot move through their former friends, do not grant flanks, etc. conversely, they now cannot make attacks of opportunity against your side, can be moved through without issue, and can be used to gain flanking. lasts for 1 round, scaling to end of encounter. can scale to allow multiple creatures to be affected per use of the ability
- Everburn (Su) brawler, fighter, paladin, partisan? gain the ability to spend an action point to gain an action even while under the effects of a condition which normally removes the ability to take actions, such as helpless, paralyzed or petrified.
- Serendipity (Su): Bard, urban barb, brawler, cleric, prowler, warlord? When you or one of your allies within 30 feet rolls any d20 check, use this ability as an immediate action before the results of the roll are checked to tweak the odds in their favor, increasing the result of the die roll or check by 1. This CAN turn a normal hit into a critical threat, but it cannot make an attack roll a natural 20. The character can use this ability a number of times per day up to their character level of the class that grants the ability. At intrepid tier (second tier) of the granting class, and every additional tier thereafter, they can increase the die result of the target’s roll by an additional 1 by using up more of their daily uses. For example, a 12th-level bard with three tiers of bard has 12 points of serendipity, and can spend up to three points of serendipity to increase an ally’s roll by 3 in one immediate action.
- candidate for prestige class: mystic theurge is super cool, should be in the running for an early prestige class
- check 'vigilante' class for ideas for possible skills expansion pass, might be some interesting ideas in there
- All electronica baby!
- it hurts me, but I am unable to stop poking at it: hexatrigesimal prime numbers as words. (whimper)
- Name Generator Site: fantasy name generators
- Running combat with urgency and exigency.
- art link https://www.artstation.com/ariirf
- weapon names generator https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/sword-names.php