Vampire Bruxa (CR 14)
Pure Evil - Medium - Undead
- Vampires are one of the great nations of Undeath. Vampires are Emptied Undead, meaning they have been cored out of life. Unlike most of the Emptied, they do not noticeably decay, although during battle their disgusting nature is amply evident in the mess they leave behind. Vampires are the greatest representatives of the Corrupting Undead, those undead who seek the preservation and continuation of life, so that they may corrupt it into ever more Undeath. As a result, the motivations of Vampires are more complex than the Destroying Undead or the Eaters.
- Vampires like people. They like the trappings of civilization, they like the happy whirl of social life, they enjoy the company of others, both undead and living alike. Vampires want to make more Vampires, it is an erotic part of their existence that they would be greatly diminished by losing.
- Vampires get along well with most other Undead, even though relations often involve the Vampires using their domination abilities or simply persuading the other Undead to be patient. It is not unusual for Vampires to be encountered with powerful Skeletons, Wights, Death Knights, Liches, and other mighty Undead, even including the Lost Ones, who make terrifying allies indeed.
- On top of this, Vampires are unique among Undeath in that they create living allies, their Vampiric Thralls. The existence of Vampiric Thralls makes finding a Vampire nest immeasurably more difficult, because Vampire Thralls are alive. Thralls are mortals who admire and envy the Vampires for their abilities, and whom the Vampires have fed their blood to. Vampire Blood can create new Vampires, or, in lesser doses, a living human becomes addicted to it, as if it were strong drink, or some horrifyingly strong opiate.
- Vampire thralls are the first rank of Vampire culture, the eternally obedient and awfully empowered servants whom the Vampires use to interact with the daytime world. But to a Vampire, the faithful Thralls are just servants and fighters, meat to be sacrificed and used up as required. No, most Vampires are far more occupied with the byzantine machinations of Vampiric Society, a dark carousel of midnight parties and dalliances in dark corners, plots and plans and schemes all woven together into a fascinating skein complex enough to keep even an immortal monster entertained.
- Vampire Bruxa's are usually vampires who have reached a few centuries of age. (It is also possible for mighty Sires and Dams to create Bruxa's directly.) Most "young" vampires descend into the degeneration of the Nosferatu state, but those who survive a couple of dozen decades are usually 'encouraged' by their Elders to have a little more self-respect and care for their appearance.
- As a result, after some time in the darkness, most vampires seek out magical ways to improve their appearance and re-enter the full whirl of the Dark Dance. Such vampires are the Bruxa's, and they throw themselves into their renewed social existence with enthusiasm, leaving their connections to the living world to molder away as the darkling years dash by.
- Bruxa's are the most classically 'vampiric' in appearance, as they revel fully in their dire state of being. They prey upon Life with dedication, and participate in schemes and intrigues with great enthusiasm and considerable skill.