Vampire Dilettante (CR 10)
Pure Evil - Medium - Undead (Vampire)
- Vampires are one of the great nations of Undeath. Vampires are Emptied Undead, meaning they have been cored out of life. Unlike most of the Emptied, they do not noticeably decay, although during battle their disgusting nature is amply evident in the mess they leave behind. Vampires are the greatest representatives of the Corrupting Undead, those undead who seek the preservation and continuation of life, so that they may corrupt it into ever more Undeath. As a result, the motivations of Vampires are more complex than the Destroying Undead or the Eaters.
- Vampires like people. They like the trappings of civilization, they like the happy whirl of social life, they enjoy the company of others, both undead and living alike. Vampires want to make more Vampires, it is an erotic part of their existence that they would be greatly diminished by losing.
- Vampires get along well with most other Undead, even though relations often involve the Vampires using their domination abilities or simply persuading the other Undead to be patient. It is not unusual for Vampires to be encountered with powerful Skeletons, Wights, Death Knights, Liches, and other mighty Undead, even including the Lost Ones, who make terrifying allies indeed.
- On top of this, Vampires are unique among Undeath in that they create living allies, their Vampiric Thralls. The existence of Vampiric Thralls makes finding a Vampire nest immeasurably more difficult, because Vampire Thralls are alive. Thralls are mortals who admire and envy the Vampires for their abilities, and whom the Vampires have fed their blood to. Vampire Blood can create new Vampires, or, in lesser doses, a living human becomes addicted to it, as if it were strong drink, or some horrifyingly strong opiate.
- Vampire thralls are the first rank of Vampire culture, the eternally obedient and awfully empowered servants whom the Vampires use to interact with the daytime world. But to a Vampire, the faithful Thralls are just servants and fighters, meat to be sacrificed and used up as required. No, most Vampires are far more occupied with the byzantine machinations of Vampiric Society, a dark carousel of midnight parties and dalliances in dark corners, plots and plans and schemes all woven together into a fascinating skein complex enough to keep even an immortal monster entertained.
- Vampire Dilettantes are new to the Dark Dance, those vampires who have just dropped out of life and are newly embracing the Black River as it flows beneath the surface. Dilettantes are almost all willing converts to Vampirism: Those who fight too hard against the Blood's Song generally are flawed in their descent into darkness and become lesser, weaker things, scorned in Vampire Society but ever-so useful.
- Dilettantes are new, fresh faces, and as a result, they are pampered and adored by their elders, doted upon and desired, gifted and feted. Dilettantes are expected to survive on their own for their first decades, but it is foolish to think that just because they are new in the Crimson Whorl that they are ignored by the great old terrible monsters out there.
- Every Dilettante represents a Vampires' Child, and while the great old monsters will not usually lift a finger to help, anyone who harms a Dilettante will be remembered for long and long indeed.