Volcano (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
- School: Evocation
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V,S,M (A jagged cone of obsidian, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Long (200 ft. + 20 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: 30 foot radius spread (13 x 13 square) within range
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + spell level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- Growling out the rough phrases of this spell causes your voice to gain a nearly-subsonic rumble, as the magical power reaches deep into the Realms of Power for strength. As you complete the spell, a 15-foot cone of volcanic basalt appears somewhere in range, emitting wisps of sulphurous smoke and shimmering with lava trails.
- This volcano must appear on a surface within range, but it may manifest on a solid or liquid surface, a natural or manufactured surface, and it does not have to be level. A volcano may sprout from a wall or even a ceiling. There must be enough open space (not Blocked, Impeded, or Occupied) for the 15 foot cone to appear or the spell fails immediately. Be sure to check the ceiling height!
- The 3x3 space of the Volcano is considered to be blocked squares, although the corners of the space can be "cut" during movement due to the rounded shape of the volcano. This persists until the end of the combat unless the duration is ended earlier, such as by Dispel effects, Disjunction effects, or such things as Antimagic fields. If the Volcano is thus dismissed, all spell effects end immediately. In addition, the Volcano cone has a Durability of 1, if a Sunder maneuver is made against the Maneuver Defense of the caster to smash it. Sundering the cone or otherwise inflicting Siege Damage upon it ends the spell immediately.
- While the volcano is present, all creatures within 30 feet of the center square (a 13 x 13 square centered on the center of the Volcano) gain the Immolated status condition inflicting fire (energy, common) damage. Unattended objects smaller than size Large are also affected by Immolated, leading to enormous property destruction, with ancillary effects that are left to the GM to adjudicate.
- In addition, during the Volcano's duration, the caster may as a standard action cause the cone to erupt, shooting a blast of lava at one creature the caster chooses in the area of effect. This is a ray attack, with line of sight and line of effect traced from the center of the Volcano rather than the caster's current space. The caster must have line of sight to the Volcano and be within the spell's maximum range in order to trigger this eruption. The caster may include one such ray attack in the Standard Action required to cast this spell, and if cast more quickly due to a feat, then the bonus ray attack is still allowed.
- Ray attacks made by the volcano are resolved as if they are made by the caster, with all associated penalties and bonuses. If a ray attack is successful, targeted creatures suffer (Circle 7 damage): 1d6+2 points of damage per character level (max 20d6+40 at character level 20) of fire (energy, common) as the white-hot lava does its best to render them to vapor.
- This spell lays an arcane charge on its target(s). If the targets are something other than you or another creature (such as an object or area), the spell lays an arcane charge on you, the caster. Targets which already have an arcane charge present must choose which to keep if the new spell has the same charge type. Only one arcane charge can ever be present on a target at a time.