Black Tentacles (Sorcerer/Wizard Spell)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 4
- School: Conjuration
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (An octopus or squid tentacle, worth 1 gp.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: Two or more squares, no two of which can be more than 40 feet apart.
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: No saving throw granted
Save DC: -
- Spell Resistance: No
- This spell causes a field of rubbery Black Tentacles to appear, burrowing up from the floor and reaching for some creatures in the area of effect.
- Within the area of effect, choose up to two squares, plus one additional square per nine full character levels of the caster (drop fractions: i.e. 3 squares at 9th, 4 squares at 18th, 5 squares at 27th, etc.). Make a single Caster Check against the Maneuver Defense of any creatures occupying one or more of the selected squares when the spell is cast. If the caster check is less than a creature's Maneuver Defense, it suffers (Circle 1 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 4d6 at character level 4) points of bludgeoning (physical, common) damage. If the caster check equals or exceeds the target's maneuver defense, it takes the spell's damage and also becomes Immobilized until they expend a move action to free themselves of the tentacles.
- Once cast, the tentacles remain until the end of combat. For the rest of the encounter, all creatures, friend or foe, that enter a square (willingly or unwillingly) affected by the black tentacles are automatically attacked, suffering (Circle 1 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 4d6 at character level 4) points of bludgeoning (physical, common) damage as above.
- In addition, the caster of the spell may use a move action to immediately (as an interrupt) inflict 1 square of forced movement as a slide to any creature, friend or foe, who enters a square affected by black tentacles, plus an additional square per nine full caster levels of the caster (dropping fractions; i.e. 2 squares at 9th, 3 squares at 18th, 4 squares at 27th, etc.). Of course, the caster must have a Move action available (unspent from their previous Turn) if they choose to perform this off their normal turn. Casters may choose to downgrade a Standard action (if they did not use it in their previous turn) to a Move action for this interrupt, and may choose to expend an Action Point for a Move action for this interrupt.
- Multiple squares affected by black tentacles, even if cast by multiple casters, do not stack. Furthermore, any creature which has already taken damage from Black Tentacles this round is immune to all effects of the spell until the start of its next turn.
- The tentacles created by this spell cannot be damaged, but they can be dispelled as normal.
Mana Burn Circle Damage
|Spell Circle||Burn Cost||Req'd Char Level||Base Dice||Max Dice|
|0||N/A||N/A||1d4 per 2 character levels||max of 4d4 at character level 8|
|1||N/A||1st||1d6 per character level||max of 4d6 at character level 4|
|2||+1||3rd||1d6 per character level||max of 6d6 at character level 6|
|3||+1||5th||1d6 per character level||max of 10d6 at character level 10|
|4||+1||7th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 12d6+12 at character level 12|
|5||+1||9th||1d6+1 per character level||max of 15d6+15 at character level 15|
|6||+1||11th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 16d6+32 at character level 16|
|7||+1||13th||1d6+2 per character level||max of 20d6+40 at character level 20|
|8||+1||15th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 21d6+63 at character level 21|
|9||+1||17th||1d6+3 per character level||max of 25d6+75 at character level 25|
|10||+1||19th||1d6+4 per character level||max of 25d6+100 at character level 25|
|11||+1||21st||1d6+5 per character level||max of 25d6+125 at character level 25|
|12||+1||23rd||1d6+6 per character level||max of 27d6+162 at character level 27|
|13||+1||25th||1d6+7 per character level||max of 27d6+189 at character level 27|
|14||+1||27th||1d6+8 per character level||max of 29d6+232 at character level 29|
|15||+1||29th||1d6+9 per character level||max of 29d6+261 at character level 29|
|16||+1||31st||1d6+10 per character level||max of 30d6+300 at character level 30|
|17||+1||33rd||1d6+11 per character level||max of 30d6+330 at character level 30|
|18||+1||35th||1d6+12 per character level||max of 30d6+360 at character level 30|