Suntermaw (CR 14)
Pure Evil - Large - Aberration
- A Suntermaw is one of the many aberrant things which infest the world, thrown up by the natural background magic of the universe.
- Some say that a nest of Suntermaws arise when a community's greed becomes too great. Others say that Suntermaws are spawned from tiny seeds of the Outer Madness, which are sewn upon the world by the dark agencies of The Without.
- Still others say Suntermaws are the result of dark experimentation, the same foolishness that unleashed Owlbears upon the world. Or are the result of a witch's curse, or an ill-omened birth, or portents of a dark harvest...
- In truth, it may be all of these things, or none. No one knows.
- Suntermaws are driven by an endless hunger for flesh and magic, and a mad hatred of both Life and Unlife. They will attack all living creatures, as well as undead, or perhaps worse, they will mark a living creature as bait and then patiently stalk that person, picking off those around them, so that the person is the center of a vortex of death and terror.
- A nest of Suntermaws is a thing to be expunged, there is no negotiation or parley with them. Once they begin their depredations, they must be destroyed, or they will render everything around their lair into lifeless, deathless, ruin.
- Init: +26
- Ambush Chance: 10+ on d20 (req's 1 minute prep)
- AC: 37
- Maneuver Defense (MD): 37
- Hit Points: 315 (Bloodied Value: 157) Hit Dice: 27
- Fort: +17 Refl: +14 Will: +13
- Strong Against:
- Weak Against:
- Movement Types: Walk 50 ft.
- Space / Reach: 10 ft. / 10 ft.
- Standard Attack:
- 1x Shattering Bite +25 (2d10+12/x2) as crushing (physical, common); plus: Sunder
- Full Attack:
- Standard Ranged:
- Full Ranged:
- Maneuver Offense: +22 (+2 on Sunders)
- Siege Damage:
- 1x Shattering Bite +22 (1d6+1)
- Str: 24 Dex: 18 Con: 26 Int: 10 Wis: 18 Cha: 16
- Feats: Combat Reflexes (EFFECT: Monsters with this feat make up to 4 attacks of opportunity per round instead of one.)
- Languages: Common
Gaze of Despair (Su)
- If you look at a Suntermaw while it has no status condition that hampers its actions, it will attempt to catch your eye. You must make a Will save (DC 26) or suffer the Nervous condition until the end of the encounter. This save is rolled at the beginning of your turn. Once you have failed this save once, you are immune to Gaze of Despair from any Suntermaw for 24 hours. Note that this is a gaze attack, so attackers can attempt to avert their eyes (reducing chance of gaze to 50%, but inflicting a 20% miss chance to all attacks by that creature), or wear a blindfold (rendering them immune to the gaze attack, but inflicting a 50% miss chance on all attacks by that creature).
- Any time the Suntermaw successfully hits a creature with its Shattering Bite attack, it may roll a Sunder maneuver against one piece of equipment worn by that creature as a free action. This is resolved as the Suntermaw's Maneuver Offense check (1d20 + 24, versus the target's Maneuver Defense. If successful, the Suntermaw reduces the target object's durability by 1, plus an additional +1 per 5 that the Sunder check exceeded the target's maneuver defense.
- Most objects only have a durability of 1, though armor and shields are the normal exception to this. A creature may always elect to force any sunder attack to be made against their shield, if they are wielding one. Any object reduced to 0 durability or less becomes Broken.
- Suntermaws love sneaking and ambushing, picking a weak victim and tormenting them, slowly and steadily wrecking everything in their lives. If they are challenged by a strong foe, they are not cowed, but instead will attempt to set up an ambush, preferring to attack in open and inhabited places, where their Gaze power will cause a shrieking panic to erupt among hapless bystanders.
- Once combat begins, some of the Suntermaws will show themselves and close aggressively, seeking to use their Gaze of Despair upon as many foes as possible. Others of the Suntermaws will attempt to use Stealth (possibly aided and abetted by characters averting their eyes to avoid the gaze attack) to sneak into the ranks of the heroes and attack any spell casters or buffers they may find.
- Suntermaws are not wholly of this world, and their bite attacks are incredibly destructive, shattering stone and metal with ease. They will seek to Sunder notable magic items first, to feed their hungers, and will target such things as amulets, cloaks, and especially wands, staves, and rods, in preference to other items.
- Suntermaws are arrogant and vicious, but they will attempt to flee a battle if more than half their number are killed. Often, their aggressive attacks and stealth have placed them deep among the heroes ranks, so how successful they may be in escaping is highly variable. If they are attacked with powerful ranged attacks or heavy area of affect spells, they will seek to target the attacker with their Azoic Rays, in an effort to drive the offender into hiding or kill them outright. Otherwise, they are quite content to engage in melee, counting on their powerful bite attacks, Reach, and gaze power to carry the day.
Out of Combat
- XP: 38,400
- Treasure: Sellable Goods worth 23,625 gp.
- Weight: 140 lbs. Volume: 5.6 cu. ft.
- Optional Treasure Rules: Roll on the following table once per encounter (NOT per creature). Any items discovered are in addition to the normal treasure for the encounter.
Table 1: Roll a d20: Result Remnant Found (If Any) 1 - 10 Nothing Found 11 - 14 1 Languid Remnant (tier 1) 15 - 17 1 Pale Remnant (tier 2) 18 - 19 1 Bright Remnant (tier 3) 20 Roll on Table 2 Table 2: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Languid Remnants (tier 1) 6 - 10 3 Pale Remnants (tier 2) 11 - 14 1 Intense Remnant (tier 4) 15 - 17 1 Blazing Remnant (tier 5) 18 - 19 1 Vital Remnant (tier 6) 20 Roll on Table 3 Table 3: Roll a d20: Result Remnant(s) Found 1 - 5 3 Bright Remnants (tier 3) 6 - 8 3 Intense Remnants (tier 4) 9 - 11 3 Blazing Remnants (tier 5) 12 - 14 3 Vital Remnants (tier 6) 15 - 17 1 Prime Remnant (tier 7) 18 - 19 1 Mythic Remnant (tier 8) 20 1 Empyrean Remnant (tier 9)