Icy Prison (Ranger Poultice)
- Level: Ranger 2
- School: Evocation
- Casting Time: Standard Action, or the first attack of a Full Attack Action
- Components: V, S, M (A magically preserved icicle, worth 29 gp or more.)
- Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./lvl)
- Target or Area: one target creature
- Duration: Until the end of the current encounter (only castable during combat)
- Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Save DC: 10 + caster stat modifier + 1/2 character level
- Spell Resistance: Yes
- This poultice is brewed with bracing, chilling herbs like spearmint and witch hazel, combined with winter wheat, snow beets, and the like. The holder activates the plaster by burying an icicle in the mix to chill it. The holder utters crisp, brittle words in a cold, authoritative tone of voice, bringing forth the power of Winter. Upon completion of the cold, hard commands to the power imbued in the poultice, the holder causes sharp icicles to erupt from the nearest surface adjacent to the target creature. (Usually the ground.) If the target creature is not adjacent to a solid or liquid surface, the spell fails.
- The erupting spears of thick ice trap the target in a powerful grip. If the creature fails its save, it is immobilized in its current space, and takes (Circle 3 damage): 1d6 points of damage per character level (max 10d6 at character level 10) points of cold (energy, common) damage. If manaburning this poultice is desired, this must be done by the herbalist Ranger who mixes it.
- If the target makes its save, it gains the slowed condition and only suffers half the damage.